Top 5 things you’d recommend

allisonintx

Edit:
Okay y’all it’s been about 10 days since I made this post. I carefully read each response (thank y’all so much!!) and I just wanted to tell you all how much my life has been impacted.
1. I was lucky it was a restock week, which meant I could buy some new items. We already purchase mostly fragrance free items but I also got some “cleaner” household items using the EWG app as some of you suggested.
2. Purchased a water filter (we live on a well so the taste of the water is also much improved and we’ve all been drinking tons of water and cut out pop completely)
3. Switched to glass from plastic Tupperware
4. Took the time to read Nourishing Traditons/Deep Nutrition and bought food that aligned with their recommendations. We’ve been eating lots of grass fed meats and raw fruits and veggies this week haha
5. I restocked our personal care items with cleaner options

It’s only been 10 days but y’all. My whole family is already benefitting. My husband told me yesterday he has more energy. I feel amazing, I’ve been sleeping better and in a better mood.
Is some of this the placebo effect? Sure. I also guarantee that a good deal of this is just changing our diet and environment. I know I’ll never be perfect but you all have given me such a wonderful start and I appreciate all of you!
———————————————————————-

What are the top 5 things you’d recommend to a parent trying to be more health aware/more crunchy?
Do I educate myself about shampoo contents or organic produce first? 😅

Thanks in advance for all responses!

@allisonintx
  1. Don’t fall down the rabbit hole of every single product and aspect of healthy living. Bit by bit, swap out products you have when they run out or wear down. Don’t go crazy with the overbuying or panic-purchases.
  2. Begin to remove fragrance from your products and home. Ditch scented diapers, pads, etc. Ditch candles. Ditch scented laundry detergent. You’ll be shocked at how much cleaner your air will feel - and how overwhelming scent is when you smell it after removing it from your own home!
  3. Slowly phase out plastics from your kitchen in particular. Avoid using plastic items around hot or warm food especially. Replace Tupperware with glass food storage, phase out any plastic dish ware or cups, and phase out old nonstick pans with stainless steel or cast iron.
  4. Prioritize making meals with whole foods instead of packaged or overly processed foods. Ditch sodas, sugary creamers and other highly-sugared beverages.
Those are my main ones and have made a huge difference in my health! Good luck and go easy on yourself!

@hurtbygod You can pry my hazelnut creamer from my cold dead hands.

I try to be good and drink it black for a couple days when I run out before we grocery shop, but I sooo look forward to putting it back in my cup lol!

@shela710 Omgosh I was the same way with hazelnut! I finally gave up coffee for a couple of years cuz there was no way I could drink it black. Then I found Planet Oat creamer and the ingredients in them I was willing to compromise on just to have coffee again, plus the oats tested free of glyphosate. I don't think they have hazelnut though.

@shela710 Same here, I try to keep us healthy and granola overall but no matter how many times I’ve tried over the years I just haven’t been able to give up my creamer!

@allisonintx I don’t know if I have a top 5 but number one for us was replacing cookware with stainless steel and cast iron and replacing plastic Tupperware with glass!

@jdubs99 Yes! Start with the kitchen, and items that touch the food that you ingest- tupperwares, cookwear, cooking utensils (wooden spoons, metal spatulas), glasswear, etc!

@ooooooo Yes, but also totally up to your preferences! When I did my research, I found a lot of websites that said silicone is "relatively safe" or "likely non toxic", so I try to stick with wood & metal when I can because we know those are best. But of course I have a silicone spatula, because that is a specific tool that really works best if it's silicone!

@jayrashman Totally makes sense! I bought a silicone set off Amazon cause anywhere else is just so expensive, but I’ve always wondered how true the claim even is that they are 100% silicone

@ooooooo For me, this is where that "moderately" granola comes in :) Silicone is definitely a better alternative to plastic, no doubt about that! It took me years of saving/spending to build the kitchen with all the tools I like, and even then, I sometimes pull out the silicone spatula because that's what is clean. Making change little by little is a huge step towards healthy living!!