Took my BBT too early. Any tips?

cgstar4

I accidentally went to sleep TOO early last night which means I woke up at 5am this morning (since I’d already slept for 8ish hours) instead of 7am like I usually do.

Since I woke up at 5am and I really had to pee I just took my temp (98.06) and peed and then got into bed, hoping k could fall asleep, but I couldn’t.

I usually take my temp around 7am everyday and my temp is pretty low considering yesterday I was at (98.40) — should I use that chart to calculate what it would have been or just I just record the 98.06?

When I put it in the calculator it says 98.46 which is about right.

@cgstar4 In the end it doesn’t actually matter 🤷‍♀️

You just record it and make note of the difference in time/ sleep pattern and see how it compares to future temps. I get that it’s easy to obsess over but in the end it… just doesn’t matter because the body does whatever it does anyway. It may make the chart less pretty or more choppy but those things happen. And like someone else said, after a good chunk of solid sleep is generally good enough. Lots of people successfully temp after much less predictable sleep - parents of babies/ toddlers or shift workers for example.

@andybrooks This! Between my baby and cats, I take my temp at all different hours of the night/early morning. I’m still able to determine a shift and track ovulation. I would just log the temp, with a note that it was an irregular time for you, and keep moving.

@cgstar4 Have you already ovulated and had your 3 high temps after shift? If so I wouldn’t worry about it. If you haven’t, then I would mark that temp as questionable and start the count again.

I couldn’t handle oral temping because of all the little factors that can influence it so I got a Tempdrop and absolutely love how much easier it makes tracking

@cgstar4 My understanding has been that one needs to be asleep for somewhere between 2-4 hours for body temp to drop to baseline. I therefore don't take my temp at the same time every day (though I usually do it at 4-ish in the morning) because if I fell asleep too late in the night, I'm not going to get a worthwhile reading. Same for if I unthinkingly move around too much, wait too long, or drink water when I'd normally take a temp. I'll take a nap and try again a few hours later. Everything seems to fall into the ranges that I know they should because I have a few months of data to compare to.

@cgstar4 There are different schools of thought on this, but I was taught that any temp taken after 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep is good enough. Temp tracking isn't a perfect science and I'd put more stock into cervical fluid tracking.