Testing PuL covers

poopdog

We are getting more leaks, and probably (some of) our PUL covers are at the end of their life. Does anyone have a good method of testing which ones are still holding up and which are leaking?

@poopdog Look for holes, flaking or the pul coming away from the fabric. You can put a wet (but not dripping) insert inside of the cover being sure that it’s not touching the sides and lay the whole thing down on top of a dry towel and leave for 30 minutes. If it’s damp then the pul might be on the way out

@poopdog Hm, I don't have a good method per se, but I can usually tell when our PUL covers are at the end of their rope- they smell like pee immediately once they get peed in (and/or it starts to get tough to get smells out), they're thin, the elastics are usually totally worn out or really loose. I've been cloth diapering multiple kids for about 8 years now so certainly some of our PUL covers (some of which were secondhand to begin with) are at the end of their tether. If there's still life in them I'll use them for occasions like being at home in just a diaper or playing in the sand in summertime, but would not count on them to not leak through for going out, in winter etc.

Back