Swimming lessons at 6 months? Chlorinated pool?

@satan1568 We just started this week with my 4 month old. We want him to be used to water. I wasn't exposed much as a kid so I can't swim well and don't like open water. I don't want my son to have my fears. We'll be putting him in again in the fall just before we go to Mexico to get him more familiar with water so he'll hopefully enjoy the beach/pools down there.

@helkel my 6 month old had his first swim lesson last week and he was having a blaaast! my husband got in the water with him for a group class and man, that little guy was splashing all over the place. it’s not too early at 6 months, most places where i live start offering them at that age

@helkel Started at 4mo with my son and he’s 13mo now; not a swimmer by any means, but loves the water, dunks and goes under, is learning wall safety (if he’s near the pool edge, his instinct is to try and climb out), & it’s my favorite time of the week to unwind and have fun with him! The chlorine has never affected his skin.

@helkel I have a pool in my backyard and still didn’t put my children into swimming until they’re closer to 3. They have exposure to water at bath time, I let the water pour over their faces when rinsing their hair and we blow bubbles in the bath water for fun. It’s only taken my girls one year from age 3-4 to learn to swim, “Life saving swimming” If they fell into a pool they could get to a side safely.

My oldest is now 7 and learning strokes and diving, underwater breath hold etc.

As for chlorine, It destroyed their hair so I invested in a good quality shampoo, conditioner and treatments for after swimming lessons. I also noticed they would get a runny poo (Sorry if TMI) occasionally if they accidentally swallowed some chlorine water.