Super proud of my little human tonight

soni80

My daughter L is 9, and tonight she had her best friend, H, over who is also 9. H is our next door neighbor and spends a lot of time at our house, we love having her around.

Tonight H had a number 2 type of accident. Like, a need-new-pants-oh-god-it's-everywhere type of accident. L took her to the bathroom, convinced H to let her tell me, and asked me for help. H was understandably really embarrassed and wanted to take care of it herself. So I equipped L with plastic bags, paper towels, and cleaning spray to take to H and told her to put the dirty paper towels in one bag and bring me the shorts in the other.

After L brought her the supplies, H cleaned up the bathroom herself (at her own insistence). L brought me the soiled shorts, got H clean clothes, and took the dirty cleaning stuff out to the dumpster. H requested that I tell NO ONE about the accident, and I agreed cause I mean.... I wouldn't wanna tell anyone either!

I just really wanted to post and say how proud I am of my daughter. She helped her friend, empathized with her, treated her with kindness and respected her requests for privacy in a difficult situation. All while keeping a parent in the loop for help and advice. I don't think she could have handled it any better and it makes my heart happy that she is such a good friend.

@soni80 Your child is the kind of friend everyone wants but rarely gets—which means you must be an AWESOME parent, because behavior like that is learned usually via watching the primary caregivers. You must be a wonderful parent and role model, and your child’s friend is going to remember this for the rest of her life and how beautifully human she was treated.

@jonnnyb Not even sure how to reply to this - thank you so much for your kind words. I try really hard to be a good parent, and like everyone else I worry if I’m doing it right. I appreciate your affirmations.