Sunblock? Y/N? Decent brands?

@ahale5 Definite yes. I'm most comfortable with mineral sunscreens as less gets absorbed into the bloodstream. We used Blue Lizard since it's decently priced, reef safe, and available in lots of places.

@ahale5 Yes, in addition to a hat, long sleeves, and pants.

Skin cancer sucks. My parents have to have pieces of skin removed every 6 months, many from their faces. My mom has had some metastasize to a lymph node even with removal of the primary promptly. It then required a modified radical neck dissection. She now has only limited use of her arm and nerve damage in her jaw that makes eating challenging at times. All from skin cancer due to not wearing sunscreen when young.

Mineral is what we use. Currently we are using Babo brand baby sunscreen. I used the EWG to find one.

@ahale5 Blue Lizard, Badger, and Babo Botanicals are all really good! You get more of a white cast with Blue Lizard and Badger Sport can feel kind of oily at first, and Babo Botanicals Extra Sensitive Sheer is really good, sheer, and non sticky! I found Badger and Babo at Whole Foods and Blue Lizard at Rite Aid, and if there is a Whole Foods near you in their health section there may be a worker who can assist you more.

This is the link I used to help make my decision but if you search through the sub there are a lot of discussions. Suncreen is important and so are hats and wearing light clothing that keeps the sun off you.

Best of luck!!

@ahale5 Absolutely yes! We use the tubby Todd brand or elta MD physical sunscreen. I don’t use chemical sunscreens because in this day in age, there are so many cosmetically elegant physical sunblocks that there is no point to risk it, even if the risk is small. The tubby Todd serum Thor one in a yellow oval container is amazing for adults too. They also have an awesome spray option that uses pressurized air instead of alcohols and other volatiles, so it won’t irritate at all.

Back