Struggling treating 2 yr old’s chronic constipation

lorenzomcgoo

We did a bowel clean out after getting to the point she was also only pass large stools once a week. It worked but now we’re on the maintenance phase which requires her to drink 5-8 oz of water with Miralax in it.

She still nurses. I don’t want to wean yet. She will only drink 2-3 oz of non-breast milk a day. How can I get osmotic laxative into her body?

@lorenzomcgoo Put it in something tastier than water like juice or milk. Miralax in water is kind of gross and it’s not surprise she doesn’t like it

But also, she’s two. She should definitely be drinking more than a couple ounces of non-breast milk liquid per day. You don’t need to stop nursing but encourage water first/more often. Dehydration is likely playing a big part in constipation

@lorenzomcgoo Prunes. Pears or pear juice contain sorbitol naturally which is laxative. Fiber cereals like grape nuts in yogurt (they stay crunchy while granola gets soggy so it’s a plus). Bran and fruit muffins. Tomato soup (anecdotal fact I was told by a daycare provider is that tomato soup day was dreaded for all the poppy diapers), blueberries have a surprising amount of fiber.

If diet doesn’t effect it then definitely talk to your doc because there could be underlying issues. Heck talk to them anyway and they may have more ideas. Even calling the nurse line they can probably advise you.

@sparker My daughter went through a constipated phase when we started solids and pears always did it!! Definitely worth trying different fruits and food options before resorting to laxatives especially on a regular basis as she can become dependent.

@reneprays Careful with this advice—my three year old has been in Miralax for a year because I was advised not to give it and try to do other things for a long time first. I think about, all the time, how I could have spared him copious amounts of Miralax by giving it a few times before the constipation became so extreme.

Back