Small Gestational Sac

imaginedragons

Hello Everybody!

It’s been a bit of an anxiety inducing pregnancy so far and I’m only 9w1d. 34 years old and this is my first pregnancy.

On what was supposed to be my 8w2d ultrasound, they changed my estimated due date to 12/4/2024 instead of 11/25, officially making me 7 weeks pregnant at the time. They also noticed my gestational sac was measuring at 5w6d. HR was 133 and everything was present. When we got with the midwife after the ultrasound, she had kind of a grim tone discussing how my gestational sac was smaller- it could mean chromosomal abnormalities/spontaneous abortion or it could mean nothing at all.

Of course I ran to Reddit for positive outcome stories and possible advice to help the sac. Only thing I could find was drink tons of water so I upped my water intake like crazy with the possibility that it may or may not help.

7 weeks:
On 5/1/2024, we went for my 9 week ultrasound. I was worried there’d be no heart beat but to my surprise there was a HR of 184. Baby was moving all around and everything was present (yolk, developing limbs, and other features). Sac still measuring behind but at 7w3d now. She said it’s good that there’s space between the yolk and the baby. The report seemed less grim in tone. I also did my NIPT blood draw as well so I’ll be interested to see those results.

9 weeks:
While things seemed less doom and gloom yesterday, I am still guarding my heart. I’ve read some positive outcomes throughout various forums and I’m just trying to remain hopeful. I’ve realized I’m doing everything possible on my end so whatever happens is out of my control now and I tell that to myself often to keep me from spiraling. I’m not very religious but I sure am praying a lot these days. 🙏🙏🙏

UPDATE 5/5: NIPT came back and it’s a boy! Tested negative for T21, T18, and T13.

Update 5/22: 12 weeks pregnant today. We got to hear the baby’s heartbeat.

Update 5/29: 13 weeks pregnant. The MFM didn’t seem all that concerned with the size of the sac and said things look good so far and that I can worry less. The tech said there looks like plenty of room in the sac as well. lol I’m still a little worried though just because.

Update 6/19: 16 weeks pregnant. Measurements look good still. I go back on July 10th for my 20 week scan.

@imaginedragons My gestational sac measured behind until they stopped measuring it around 12 weeks. I was always in that "danger zone" where the difference between the sac and crl was less than 5mm. I'm currently cuddling my 4 week old rainbow baby as we speak. 🥰

Also want to add my OB never mentioned the sac being small or seemed to be concerned about it.

@imaginedragons Were you tracking ovulation or are you just going off LMP? When was the date of your first positive test? Just asking in case you ovulated much later than you thought.

Whatever happens is not your fault, and you've done everything you can to make a safe place for this baby to grow. Fingers crossed for you.

@godsgal41 They just redated me and said I ovulated later. First day of my last period was 2/19/2024. March 22nd was when I tested because it was supposed to be about the last day of my period that I had missed and my period comes like clockwork. I usually use inito for ovulation tracking but didn’t do it this time and just counted on the basic calendar from Modern Fertility app.

Thank you for the words of support. 🙏

@imaginedragons Hm, so the very earliest you could be is 8w6d with a first positive on 3/22. Not ideal to be over a week behind, but the growth and heart rate is good, so it’s really hard to say. I’m really hoping for better news at your next ultrasound.

Back