sidecar sleeping help - bed is very low, can i use couch?

maprayer

hey there i have a unique question i haven’t been able to find the answer for in the facebook groups on threads here:

i want to buy a sidecar sleeper - i heard ikea has one? but my bed is pretty low. Also, my partner and i do sleep shifts - sleeping parent in the bed upstairs - baby duty parent in downstairs on the couch - baby in the bassinet next to the couch until she wakes up. Is it possible to put the sidecar sleeper along the side of the couch? We have an ikea KIVIK

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kivik-...MIg62tytaLhgMV_RKtBh1vswWuEAQYBiABEgLIGfD_BwE

right now her solo bassinet is next to the couch and we sleep on the sofa until she wakes up, then we feed her etc and attempt to put her back to bed (which doesn’t work, and now she’s up unless you hold her - which is why we want the sidecar).

@maprayer No, a firm bed is safer than a couch. Couches have too many crevices where a baby could get stuck. If your bed is too low, you can either cut down the legs of the crib or add risers to the legs of the bed.

Make sure you look up the Safe Sleep Seven if you haven't already. I see from your comment history that you're breastfeeding. It's worth noting that it's safer for the breastfeeding parent to be cosleeping with the baby, especially when the baby is young. Many people find that they get a pretty good night's sleep despite half-waking regularly to breastfeed, so you may not need to do shifts once you start cosleeping.

@petercm oh the last sentence really helped me understand the actual usage of something like this.

because i’m too scared to bed share, i’d use use the sidecar and i figured bent will not be in couch just me.

but at that point yeah it would just be me, so we could just use the sidecar next to bed afterall!

our mattress is extremely firm so i have no worries there.

do you have a link for one i could breastfeed over the edge?