Should I let my kids walk home by themselves ?

@adriennet Germany is not a safe country ,Germany is a country whose government agencies allowed problem children from children’s homes to be adopted by known paedophiles ,Angela merkel herself apologised for what happened

@honeykiss I'm Canadian, and in my particular neighbourhood, this is the same. The vast majority of the kids walk/ride a bike/scooter. Every now and then you see a kid with a walkie talkie to communicate with a parent back home.

I'm struggling to understand what the concern would be for a 7 and 9 year old with one street that has a crossing guard.

Edit to add: My oldest is 6 and he does a mix of walk with one of us, walk with neighbour kids/parent, or walk with a larger (5+) group of kids only.

@andrewrivers1990 They have a rule here that first graders should walk after that bikes and scooters are okay, I don’t know where that comes from safety issue maybe thinking that it’s safer to walk (?) but it’s not a rule which would be monitored in any way, a guideline maybe a better word.. usually just depends on how far the kids come from do they rather bike or walk.

@honeykiss
Pretty much all the kids walk to and from school from 6-7 yrs age when 1st grade starts here (Finland).

I grew up in Serbia and it was the same. I was taken to school a couple of times and then after that I walked to school and back on my own. Usually, a couple of us who live nearby would end up going together as we'd meet along the way to school.

@johnnydeppfan25 That’s how it usually goes here too, groups of kids on their way to school and after school they usually play outside with their friends or go to someone’s house with a friend. After those initial days when school starts your child will tell you NOT to come anymore cause they all go by themselves…

@mrscott1026 i think it depends on the kid. our daughter is 10, going on 30. her BFF is also 10, going on 5. we live in a safe neighborhood with the police across the street. for a couple years now, we allow her to go out alone on walks around the neighborhood, ride her scooter or hoverboard. so i know shes going at least 0.5mi away from our house. but i have her take a walkie talkie to be safe!

i personally love the walkie talkie for my daughter. practically indestructible, its loud and no worry of fumbling with numbers it if there was an emergency. we even have our own morse code so talking isnt required. that might be an option to put your husbands mind at ease. your 9yo can just turn it on when they leave, let you know theyre headed home, and have it on while they walk.

@eagleeyepro thank you! its old school and the kid doesnt think its cool because she has a phone as well- but the walkie talkie is fool proof! and she cant hit an ignore button! she knows if she doesnt respond to me, i'm coming to look for her

@mrscott1026 It’s kind of wild to me that this is even a question although I TOTALLY get it because of the world we live in now. I’m only 35 and my older sister by 2 years and I walked a mile each way to school from the time I was like 6 or 7. I remember counting cigarette butts and seeing a dead cat that I’ll never never get out of my brain but I’m convinced it made me focused and healthy and a little tougher than I’d otherwise be. Honestly, most kids got rides so we weren’t completely typical.

So 500m? Yes. But it may depend on the safety of your area. My city was known for being incredibly safe

@mrscott1026 Third grade was when I started walking home by myself. It also depends on the maturity of the kids.

If you feel they can safely walk, then give it a shot. Just go over the details, don't stop for people and always straight home.

@mrscott1026 If your partner is against it, you should not, even if you think it is a little silly. Parenting is a team effort.

I'm pretty sure I was doing the same sort of walk to school with my brother when I was 9 and he was 7, but that was in the '80s when people were more chill.

@jide Absolutely, I phrased it wrong: We are both undecided, him leaning towards no and myself towards yes. We are currently discussing it and having other opinions would help us.

@mrscott1026 Burlington Vermont here. Kids walking to school without parents is normal. They eventually meet friends along the way and walk in groups. Crossing guards along the way. I love seeing them walking and having fun on their way in.

@bchris91 Even within the US the responses could be wildly different. I'm nearby a town with crossing guards where kids walking is a very normalized thing. The town I'm in has around 50-100 kids that walk on a nice day, but no crossings for a while. Where I grew up not far away though, walking was banned, and no one challenged it.

Me and my brother both had periods where we biked 6 miles to school. He tried in middle school and was met by a police officer at the entrance that called the parents and turned into a mess. So we waited until high school where it was allowed, though only a couple kids much closer ever biked to school.

@schroderj My third grader bikes to school together with a classmate most days and back alone if their schedules don‘t align.

I acutally prefer that she gets the opportunity to practice now on a safe route. When she changes schools in 5th grade, the bike will pretty much her only option.

But we live in Germany. Around here you get the stinky eye if you drive your kid with the car to school.