Setting up a routine isn’t a priority right now

terrastorm

Had no idea which flare I should have used for this, so I apologize if it doesn’t make sense.

I’m still in survival mode, ya’ll. My 2mo is well fed. He’s clean. He smiles at others. He interacts with his environment. His sleep is not the greatest, but it’s getting better. But when people ask about my routine and I tell them we just go with the flow, they kind of give me and my husband an “Oh...” look.

I understand routines are important, and we’re still figuring it out.

Is it that much of an issue if we’re just winging it right now? Or are we making it harder for ourselves?

Edit: grammar

Second edit: Sorry. My sister offered to watch my LO for a few hours, so I said, “Say no more,” and passed out 😆.

Thank you guys so much for sharing your advice and insights about this. It reassured me that we’re doing pretty alright with the baby. I know I’ll have to think about routine as he gets a little older and he’s more adjusted to how the world works, but for right now I’ll just continue doing what I’m doing.

I love this sub.

@terrastorm I definitely was still in survival/go with the flow mode at two months! Whenever baby needed to eat, she ate; whenever she needed to sleep, she slept. I think we kind of did a routine at bedtime, but that was more for me than her.

The schedule didnt really develop until into the third month, when diapers and feeds became a bit more predictable.

At the end of the day, do what is best for you and your sanity!

@rasheed That’s what we’re at right now. Bedtime is the only thing that’s consistent.

For the most part, did she wind up working around your routine or did you guys work around hers?

@terrastorm I’m coming up on 15 weeks and the only thing consistent is bed time. I go by sleepy cues for contact naps during the day and he sleeps great at night. He is a happy dude and I tell myself not to stress until something isn’t working out. His day is starting to almost look similar every day but still a fair amount of variability.

@webdeveloper73 4 months and same. And honestly even bedtime is kind of sporadic and depends on how he's doing. He's not much of a napper so I try to put him down if he looks tired but usually he contact naps on me after a feed. I can take him anywhere and he's a pretty good sport about it if I feed him immediately before leaving. We are hitting the regression/teething fussiness right now though so we may need to start trying to change things.