RTF formula: is it really necessary for newborns

@lewis5398 We used RTF for the first 3 months. We could afford it and if we couldn’t we wouldn’t have. From what I read and was told it’s safer but powder formula isn’t going to kill a baby.

I’d say if you can do it, do it, but don’t sweat if you can’t.

@lewis5398 I only used RTF at the hospital as that’s what they had available to give my baby. Then when we got home we used powder with purified bottled water. Once baby got older (around 3-4 months) we stopped sterilizing bottles daily and used fridge water and she’s perfectly healthy :) ped said it was fine and our local water supply was good.

@lewis5398 I used RTF in hospital and had enough for a few additional days at home. Then switched to powder. You can boil water but I used distilled jugs. Good luck!

@lewis5398 Ask your ped and follow their guidelines. I found that lactation consultants and midwives were on the whole much more cautious regarding this. My ped was of the belief that healthy long term infants can use powder. Cronobacter is a very small but potentially fatal risk.

@lewis5398 We used up the free samples I got from Enfamil, then bought one more RTF pack before switching to powder. So in total, that was 18 2-oz bottles, which lasted us a couple weeks since we were combo feeding at the time.

@lewis5398 Til 12 weeks?? We started powder at 3 weeks with no issue. Never tried RTF but I have anecdotally heard that when babies start on RTF they don’t always love switching to powder because they develop a preference. But again this is merely what I’ve heard from some other moms.

@lewis5398 We like RTF but they need to be refrigerated once opened. We used to get the big RTF bottles and they need to be finished within 2 days. Each time we used the opened bottle it needed to be reheat which took about 3-4 min. It wasn’t a good combo with a screaming newborn 3am. However, the small RTF are great for traveling! We are now finally on powder formula and have a Baby Brezza Instant warmer with warm water. Definitely 100 times better with prepping which takes less than 10 seconds lol.

@lewis5398 As long as baby is full term (or close enough) and not immunocompromised there’s no need. Same with using boiled water to make the powder sterile. I had an IUGR babe with some health complications and his ped/cardiologist said I didn’t need to use RTF or boil water for powder. We have city water in an area where it’s considered safe or whatever they classify. I was only told to boil if i had well water, since I’m in a semi rural area they ask everyone. I will say in the very beginning I bought a case of RTF because it was just easier to pop a nipple on that in the middle of the night than fix a bottle. But it was only for convenience it’s not necessary.

@lewis5398 Only used rtf in the hospital, once while out and about and forgot formula at home because it was what they had. Occasionally tried the big jugs but my son didn’t like it as he got older 🤷‍♀️