Questions about nuLOOM rugs & off gassing

mathteacher

I purchased two nuLOOM rugs recently. I'm concerned about their safety and the possible chemicals they are giving off.

One I ordered from Amazon and is labeled as 100% polyester (photo of label) which I understand to be a relatively safe plastic and it is also labeled Oeko-tex certified. This rug, however, has a strong odor almost like vinegar and I've kept it in a well ventilated room for about 4 days. It still smells and it giving me a slight headache and I think it's making me itchy as well (could be allergies bc of the season though). Even though this seems to be a safe rug, is it possible it is off gassing volatile organic compounds, PFAs and/or PFCs? I thought it might be caused by a latex backing that wasn't mentioned in the label so I spoke to a nuLOOM rep and they there is no latex backing on the rug and just said to return it to Amazon if I was having issues.

The second rug (photo of label) I purchased from Rugs Usa and it is not labeled as Oeko-tex certified and has a little bit of a plastic-y smell. Doesn't give me a headache and it more bareable but I still wanna get rid of the smell. This rug is washable, so I was thinking of just washing it to get rid of the smell. Does what make sense to solving the issue, or should I just return it all together?

Please help! Thank you.

@mathteacher I personally would leave it outside for a week (out of the sun) and wash it and see what happens! If you have an air purifier, that can help too

Editing to say that for the first rug, oeko tex certification doesn't mean everything is eliminated, but is tested for 350 chemicals (I think). I still leave things to offgas outside unless it's green guard gold certified

@mathteacher I have been in the internet for HOURS looking at rugs. I'm picky on the aesthetic so I went with a Lorena Canals one that was ~230 for a 4.5x6.5. They're heavy duty, washable, and natural. I think there are a fair amount of others out there that are natural cotton or wool but might cost a bit more

But yea! Green guard gold certified takes a lot of the guesswork out and anything that is certified will display it proudly

@mathteacher Hi, I know this post is old but I'm curious what ended up happening with your nuLoom rug. I just bought one for the nursery and am having the same experience with the itchiness. As soon as I'm near the rug I feel itchy. I'm hoping it's just temporary and needs to air out.