PSA - $7,984

peatiron

Is how much it cost to have my IUD removed in an emergency room in the USA. With "incredible" insurance coverage, my total was $961.

I wish I took it out myself. It was barely hanging in my cervix. I could have done it. I can't stop crying. I have a 19m old, I'm alone, $1500 in bills every month, $1100 for daycare, I cannot afford $961! I will never have that much extra money! Every penny I save is for my daughter's future.

The pro lifers have officially won; I am going celibate. No sex. Because there is no access to affordable birth control, or safe abortions. This is the end. Fuck everything. I am so done existing in this world.

@peatiron Do you have a line by line billing statement from the ER? If not, you should request one; as you might be able to contest certain charges and get them removed from your total

I'm so so sorry this is happening to you, it's truly awful what healthcare has become in America

@jrobbins Thank you! I requested one, yes. They said to dispute it with my insurance company first, get a reference number, and then have the hospital re run it. But if I don't make a payment in the mean time it will be sent to collections regardless. Luckily, I also just learned the payments can be as tiny as you need!!

@peatiron You can often get put on an insurance hold by a billing company! Call and ask. Explain your concern about possible billing discrepancies.

Also it’s my understanding that medical collections does not have the same impact as other collections, but I admittedly don’t know enough about that.

@cyrilbruno Yes! Definitely contact the hospital to request a payment plan! Most will allow you to do very small monthly payments.. this will get you more time to contest the charges without anything going to collections!

@cyrilbruno Definitely! The hospital has assistance to cover bills- you just need to call & speak with someone on how to apply! (When I had my son years ago my insurance was horrible- I was left with a $32,000 bill. Financial aid from the hospital covered it- without it, I would have been absolutely screwed. It was a simple application and I’ve been forever grateful!)

@peatiron This is insane. I just went to planned parenthood and ask them to take it out. I didn’t pay a thing and it took 2 seconds! They literally just pulled it out. Why the heck are they charging almost $8,000? This is one of the many reasons I am so ready to get out of the US.

Back