Positive (unintentionally) unmediated, natural di-di twin birth story. (Born 34+5)

lilkaos82

DiDi twins born 34 + 5

Twin A, boy, 5 lbs, 18 days in the NICU

Twin B, girl, 5.9 lbs, 12 days in the NICU

EDIT TO ADD

30 week Sono

A- 3 lb 3 oz

B- 3 lb 13 oz

34 week sono

A- 4 lb 4 oz

B- 5 lb 2 oz

Birth

A- 5 lb

B- 5 lb 9 oz

My twins due date was 1/16. On 12/9 we had a birthday party for my two year old, it was a week before his birthday but I was so painfully pregnant we wanted to get it out of the way. During the party I had random pains, didn’t think much of it, twin pregnancy is no joke and these weren’t new.

Husband and I went to bed at 10 PM and about 10:30 contractions started. I didn’t know if they were real labor contractions so I monitored and fretted. I downloaded a contraction timer app and around 11:30 it recommended I go to the hospital, but I was so unsure. I woke up my husband and we called L&D. They said it was probably nothing but come in and maybe they can stop labor as I was 34+5 and we wanted to stay pregnant for a few more weeks.

At midnight we both took showers and I even pooped. We left for the hospital at 1 AM, still unsure if I was in labor. Husband says on the drive he decided it was real labor because of my pain and the timing.

We got a room and at 1:55 AM my husband took my picture before I changed into a gown “just in case”. I was checked, the first time this pregnancy, and was dilated to a 6. Contractions still weren’t horribly painful, I didn’t know 6 was “active labor” at this point so I still didn’t necessarily expect to have babies. Around 2:30 I sneezed on the toilet and started screaming and cussing. Something shot out of me and the pain was horrible. That was my water breaking and the contracts were very painful after this.

Nurses came in and they weren’t overly excited, they intended to test and see if that was my water for sure. They left and maybe 5 minutes later I told
My husband I felt like I needed to push. He got the nurses and they checked me and I was a 10 and baby A was ready to come.

They started wheeling me to the OR (this hospital delivered all twins in an OR) I was very panicked about not getting an epidural or any pain medicine. Nurses were very encouraging and validating.

If was very painful to move my body over to the bed they wanted me to deliver on. The doctor said “you’re not going to be comfortable until you deliver these babies.” He was right.

Very quickly it was time to push. Twin A came in two pushes, husband told me it was a boy! I only had about 4 minutes before doctor said it was time to push again twin B was also out in 2 pushes, it’s a girl! They were born at 2:55 and 3:01.

They gave my fentanyl to finish up for some reason. No tearing.

Born 34 + 5
Twin A, boy, 5 lbs, 18 days in the NICU
Twin B, girl, 5.9 lbs, 12 days in the NICU
They were just premature. No other problems, we were on and off oxygen some, had a few days with jaundice lights.

The genders were a surprise! That was neat but honestly I think I’d find out if I had to do it again. The panic from not having drugs kind of overshadowed finding out the genders.

My recovery was much easier than with my first, not sure why.

Di-di twins, we didn’t know the gender. This was my second pregnancy, first delivery also went well. It was much longer and more painful as I was in back labor. - I can post that story in the comments if it’s helpful. All babies were delivered by the same on-call doctor, not my obgyn who we intended. But I love the on-call doctor and it was great all three times

We’ve been home a few weeks and everyone is doing great!

@lilkaos82 This is incredible and I am in awe. My mo-di boys came at 34+6 after I was on hospital bed rest for a week, and let me tell you that epidural was my lifeline. I went into labor at 1am on Saturday, my husband was at home asleep because we thought I would be on bed rest for another week, and I wound up basically hugging a nurse and crying while they put in my epidural. That poor woman, she was a saint. After the epidural it was not that bad but boy howdy, I was only 3 cm when they called for it and it came not a moment too soon. You are a champion. Wishing you and your perfect babes all the best.

@daiphucka Congrats.

Was it natural or C-section? Doctors have been advocating for scheduled C-section for Mo-Di twins.

Also did they come out back to back? Have they always been in head down position or turned during the delivery?

@bibaep969 We had a vaginal delivery. Both babies were head down at time of delivery and had been head down for a while - I can’t remember exactly how long but several ultrasounds showed head down. Twin A came at 11:20 and Twin B at 11:29 so essentially back to back, yes! No one had to be turned during delivery though I understand it’s possible for Twin B to do some gymnastics in there after Twin A comes out. We didn’t have that, fortunately.

My OBGYN said that we would try for vaginal if conditions were right and I wanted it. She offered me a C-section if I wanted one regardless because it was twins, but my partner and I discussed it and surveyed our friends and decided we wanted vaginal if possible. I believe that A had to be head down, and B had to be either also head down or smaller. Our B was bigger, but both head down so it was okay.

I probably didn’t do as much reading as I should have. I really didn’t want a C section but it’s possible that updated literature shows that it’s safer with mo-di. While I was on hospital bed rest, I saw the high risk OB who was definitely of the opinion that all twins should be C section. In my case, I was relieved to have a relatively easy recovery because I was in the NICU with the babies a lot, which would have been logistically harder after a C section.

@daiphucka I am happy to read this for you. Happy everything worked out smooth.

We have been hearing similar points as yours. That B should be smaller than A and they both should be head down. Right now(31W) they both are in breach position. Dont know if they would turn as the window approaches. We are hoping for natural as well if possible.

@lilkaos82 Congratulations and thanks for sharing! When you say 5.9 lbs, do you mean 5 lbs 9 oz, or 5 lbs 15 oz? My baby A is also smaller than baby B and I’m trying to figure out how big a weight difference is possible for vaginal delivery. My MFM says there is no standard and that it’s each patient and doctor’s discretion.

@lilkaos82 That is an amazing birth story! Congratulations!!! Those are great weights for 34wks 5days. My 36wks 4day DiDi twins were 5lbs and 4lbs7oz. You did awesome growing them!

@lilkaos82 Wow, congrats! I'm 24+0 and my kiddo turns 2 this week and I'm also hoping for a vaginal delivery, even if it feels like the odds are stacked against me. Thank you for sharing!

@cliquely The first dose was after the second baby came and I was said, “yes, thank you!” When she offered the second I didn’t even realize she was serious and before I responded someone in the room said I deserved it and she gave it.

I had the shakes real bad and most who gave birth in the US can guess that no one cared or checked on me once they got me out of the OR. It wasn’t great!

Back