PLS sleep group

@instrument150 It did. Maybe slightly more than sleep club. I think looking back both things were helpful in their own way, but the cradle coach was definitely better in regards to feeling supported. I think that in my case, a bigger step into sleeping better was knowing that it is not all or nothing. Babies will cry, not because they are sad, but because that is the only way they can communicate. I spent MONTHS trying different no cry methods and feeling like a failure if baby cried at all. I had to learn that even no cry methods doesn't mean baby wont have opinions. They were very good at holding my hand through the process and really working with me knowing that I was having a hard time letting baby cry at all(1st time mom). They gave me a schedule and the constant emailing back and forth was really what I needed. They did ask for baby to stay in his crib for the full duration of his nap though, and as a stickler for rules, I wanted to follow them but also, if baby woke up earlier, I basically agonized over it. In the end, I decided to follow their plan but make it fit what feels right for us (seems obvious now lol). So we followed the schedule and tried to keep him in his crib, but if he needed help, we would gently help him or understand that he was done with his nap. They also want to have baby on a food schedule which for my boob obsessed baby, didn't work. So we just didn't do that. Eventually he stretched out his feeds on his own.

Did their help change everything and help baby start sleeping through the night? No. But it did change some things for the better. He slept longer stretches, I knew what to expect and I had someone I could bounce ideas and worries with and It made me a little bit more confident.

I think it was helpful, but also I needed to find what worked for us and be a bit more firm when advocating. Like, at one point, baby was doing great on a 2 nap schedule even though he was "supposed" to be in a 3 nap schedule. He just needed less sleep then and I had to break the rules. We sort of used a bit of both resources because our baby is a bit wild. He did great on a by the clock schedule and now at almost 2, he sleeps 11hrs at night with a 2hr nap from 12-2. He didn't fully sleep through the night until a year old tho. But im told that other babies are easier. However, after sleep training it was definitely waaay better.

I think we ended up with a combination of: refining what I was okay with, crying wise, pausing before going in, having baby on a schedule with slightly less sleep but using gentler methods (fuss it out and pupd) and also, age. It got easier with age. He was waking up only once and then after the year, sleeping through the night.

Im sorry, this is so rambly lol.

@tennis4375 No this is so helpful. Thank you. I think the, “gentle method does not mean no tears at all” concept is some thing that my husband and I really have to internalize. Also, I know that the biggest help in all of this is just time and letting him grow and learn at his own pace, it’s just really hard to keep that in perspective when you’re going on five or six weeks of 1 to 2 hours of sleep at night. I’m really torn because I love the idea of having constant support and having somebody spell everything out for me and having strict guidelines to follow, but at the same time I have my doubts about spending so much money on some things that may or may not work and strategies that we can just look up and implement for free.

@instrument150 Honestly, you might get that help from the precious little sleep fb group (which you can join by just having the book). All the mods are super active and very helpful. Just keep in mind that it is okay to not do things exactly as they suggest if it doesn't feel right for your baby. Also, in my experience helping baby sleep sometimes, if needed, wont fully mess up everything. It gets easier with age. It truly does. Feel free to message me if you want to talk.

@nickseand The thing is the Facebook group give drastically different advice to the book sometimes. I find you can read the book, be following it to the letter, post in the FB group and they'll tell you something completely different. The book is basically paying for access to the Facebook group at this point.

@guano It’s not even doing that. I purchased the book, I read it and I know I answered those questions correctly and they still didn’t let me in. Sounds like it isn’t worth it anyways though

@nickseand I love love love PLS. I love their online facebook group and they've helped me troubleshoot quite a lot over the last 2 years. I recommend their book to almost everyone posting for sleep help. But $350 is such a steep price for 4 weeks of support! Honestly it would even be steep for a lifetime guarantee of personalized support. Personally I'd never pay it. It seems extortionary to me and I'm honestly a little bummed that they have succumbed to this business model.

@neilgram I agree it's a lot of money and don't think I would do it. That said, I think the "program" lasts four weeks and then support is more ongoing by way of a smaller FB group for people who have "graduated" from the program. I haven't done it, this was just my reading of their posts about it which I read out of curiosity the other day.

@neilgram
It seems extortionary to me and I'm honestly a little bummed that they have succumbed to this business model.

Same. This is the first I've heard of PLS's club and I'm disappointed. I understand that $10 for a book isnt a lucrative business model. But $350 for 4 weeks of support? Yikes! One of the reasons I have loved PLS is because they were different from other "parenting gurus" who were up-selling and taking advantage of exhausted parents. I'm not sure I can say that is the case anymore.

@bunsofaluminum Totally agree. PLS gave me the guts to do a CIO form of sleep training and I credit it for basically saving all of our sanity. That said, this really is taking advantage of sleep deprived parents. Now that I'm out of that tired fog (at which point, I would have probably paid any price for anything that purported to help), this seems totally ludicrous for what they are offering.

@nickseand How old is your baby?
What have you tried so far?

I would imagine you could spend that or less hiring a sleep consultant. Though I’ve never priced one out, so I could be completely wrong. But beware of people trying to capitalize on your struggle. I’m assuming you’re struggling with your child’s sleep and that’s why you’re considering joining.

I think $350 is expensive for that kind of support. I suggest joining this group first.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/respectfulsleeplearning/?ref=share

It’s free, there is still the community aspect and LOTS of support for sleep training at all ages. Sleep is tricky and can lead to a lot of stress for us moms. But, personally, I would try a lot before paying $350.

Edited to add: the group above is not the PLS specific group. This group isn’t tied to any particular sleep training curriculum. Has a lot of information on sleep training and gives you a lot of choices and options and is FREE.

Back