PLEASE HELP ME šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

@malleeboy Yeah, this to me sounds like the covers just aren't fitting him right at night. You probably want to get some different covers for nighttime, and I would recommend against pockets, because they often don't give the space for extra padding like covers with double gussets.

If you want an inexpensive set of night covers, I know Nickie's diapers has their older one-size covers in their clearance section and thirsties has some old prints on clearance in their duo wrap 2 size.

Personally, I always found pockets very leak prone, but I know a lot of people have a lot of success with them, so some people might have suggestions for pocket cover options.

My night diaper at 19 months is a large 4-8-4 prefold with 2 4-layer bamboo doublers and that fits in a cover no prob. Snug, though!

@malleeboy You could, but the issue you have is that pockets only have "single gussets" which means that they aren't cut with as much flexibility to pack as much absorbent material into them. Covers are sized more generously and the double-gussets basically give extra space for inserts to get stuffed in there.

I would NOT get a wool cover if you're not familiar with their care. You can not wash them like normal linens or they will be utterly ruined. And they are expensive as well, so not a good combo.

https://sites.google.com/view/cloth101diapering/getting-started/types-of-diapers?authuser=0

https://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/pages/newmom

Both of these pages explain the differences between the basic styles of diapers and options decently well, I think.

@lifeword What is a pre fold?

I guess Iā€™m looking for the best, most cost efficient way. Could you link me to a prefold and to the covers youā€™re talking about? I want to make sure I donā€™t get the wrong ones.. again šŸ˜­

@sammylove We did disposables for the first like 8 months of his life and finally switched over to all cloth (wanting to save money) and itā€™s just been leak after leak. Unfortunately we might go back, which is really deflating. But we will if we need to

@malleeboy We also use disposable overnight. It doesn't mean you've failed or anything! Our baby has always gone long nights and it just makes sense for us. You will still save sooo much money by having cloth in the mix, it doesn't have to be all or nothing :)

@malleeboy
  1. You donā€™t have to use cloth overnight if itā€™s not working for you. For my first child I tried a few things and it didnā€™t work so we did 1 single disposable every night. (For my second we use cloth overnight, sometimes 1 disposable, but our cloth solution works.)
  2. I realize you donā€™t want to spend anymore $$, so please see point 1. That said, you need dedicated overnight diapers, not doubling or tripling up on daytime diaps. I would highly recommend a fitted diaper + wool shell. You can even buy yarn and knit your own shell if youā€™re handy, saving money in the process. But you arenā€™t going to get 12-14hrs of absorbency from daytime diaps, no matter how you boost. Itā€™s not you, itā€™s the diaps.

@living4hisglory Thatā€™s good to know, thank you for that. I thought it was possible but itā€™s good to know it just might not be.

Could I put a Wool cover over the diapers I have now to help? Or would I have to get different fitted diapers?

@malleeboy Technically you can put a wool cover over just about anything. If youā€™re looking for economical, and want to just invest in/knit 1-2 wool covers (and lanolize them, as has been pointed out to you already), then you would be best served by using flour sack towels or thin terrycloth towels - where I live these are sold in baby stores as ā€œcloth nappiesā€ but most people use them as burp cloths. Theyā€™re super cheap, you can wrap as many as you need to add more layers, they wash and dry quickly, and since itā€™s nighttime only, worrying about bulkiness isnā€™t as big of a deal. These are often referred to as ā€œflatsā€ and are the traditional cloth diaper :) tried and tested!

@malleeboy You could certainly put a will cover over your current diaper, but I think part of your leak problem is that the the pocket cover's pocket is keeping the cloth from really being a snug fit around you baby's thighs. You will definitely want to avoid any microfiber inserts with this, though - it compress leaks pretty strongly.

@lifeword Iā€™m confused, so it looks like a fitted diaper is what my diapers are but just all hemp and no water proof, right? Would I use a fitted diaper, and inserts, and a cover, and the wool?

Sorry for asking so many questions!

@malleeboy You use a fitted (cotton or hemp) with a lanolinised wool cover. The wool cover must be lanolinised, then it is water repellent, and will prevent the urine from leaking through. The wool cover can be hand knitted, using 100% wool yarn, or you can get them from baby Beehinds, disana, and others. You do not wash the cover each day, just let it air out between use. I recommend 2 covers, alternating daily, each washed and then re-lanolinised about once every 3-4 weeks.

https://www.babybeehinds.com.au/lanolise-your-baby-beehinds-wool-covers-in-7-easy-steps/

Back