PLEASE HELP ME šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

malleeboy

I have asked in Facebook groups so many times and I still just can NOT figure it out.

My kid is 18 months and I canā€™t figure out nighttime diapers! Heā€™s a tummy sleeper and has a pĆ«Ć±Ä«Å› so Iā€™m sure that effects it. I have been able to figure out naps just fine (I just double up on 2 of really any insert and he is fine) but for bed time he sleeps 12-13 hours straight. Sometimes he is in his diaper for as long as 14 hours! I NEED HELP.

Diapers : I have Noraā€™s Nursery pocket diapers, then I have a La Petite Ours AIO and then I have LPO pocket diapers.

Inserts : I have the regular inserts that come with the diapers, a MuvaFluffU Hemp insert, a FST, and a 6 layer Precious Pompous bamboo/hemp/cotton insert.

If I put more than 2 inserts in there is ALWAYS a gap and we canā€™t get rid of it! But it always seems like 2 isnā€™t enough!

Please help me figure out how to stuff these diapers so he stops leaking!

***also please note that I have spent a lot of money on these inserts recently and my husband really doesnā€™t want to spend anymore right now.. so if I could make it work with what I have that would be ideal!

@malleeboy My son is an extremely heavy wetter at 2.5 years and we used pooters super soakers fitted diapers with a cover. Theyā€™re super pricey but they hold 31 ounces and donā€™t leak

@malleeboy If you are open to used, people are often offloading GMD workhorse or other fitted diapers, which are an affordable way to fill that gap for nighttime. You can even find covers and stay dry inserts that way too. Just give them a little 30 minute soak in dilute bleach before you use them.

@malleeboy We also have a boy who sleeps 12-14 hours straight and is a dedicated tummy sleeper. What we've found works is fitteds with a cover. But even then, we still go through phases where disposables work better overnight (we always put a cover over the disposables too).

These are the ones we use: Overnight Hemp Fitted Cloth Diaper: Adjustable One-Size with Snap Buttons and 2 Cotton Hemp Inserts, Unisex Baby (2-Pack) https://a.co/d/daX5pk7

For covers we have some grovia, best bottoms, buttons, and some random ones we got from our buy nothing group. You could probably use your pockets in a pinch.

@malleeboy Pockets & aios unfortunately just arenā€™t great for overnight. If I had to make it work I would use a pocket and not stuff them, but lay inserts on top. I would put a hemp insert on the bottom, and bamboo/cotton on top. I would try probably 3 inserts and see how it does but if youā€™re always having gaps with adding more than 2 inserts it sound like this simply wonā€™t work. I would talk to your husband about how night time itā€™s just not working, even just one cover could help you tremendously. I would get a generously sized cover so itā€™ll allow for a lot of inserts, I would also recommend double gussets to prevent the gaps. My top favorite overnight cover was the blueberry Capri, I would buy second hand. Other options Iā€™ve had success with would be a Thirsties duo cover or a Rumparooz OS cover

@synergist Thank you for all of that info. Can you tell me what is the difference between a cover and what I use? When I look at the blueberry capri cover it looks like one of my NN diapers?

@malleeboy Pocket diapers have that layer of fleece to keep baby dry, covers are 100% made of PUL and prevent leaks due to them just being made of that water resistant material. Pockets with the fleece will cause wicking issues due to it being slightly absorbent and more fabric like. Covers are also more generously sized and are made for extra stuffing and shouldnā€™t gap like youā€™re having with your diapers

@malleeboy I used a Green Mountain Diapers workhorse diaper at night with an extra cotton flat folded up in it and a thirstie's plastic cover over and it worked great!

I also used Nora's Nursery when I started diapering and they leaked SO much, even though I was washing them correctly. I'd just have to change diapers every 1 1/2 hours to prevent leaks, so overnight was out of the question.

I later learned that bamboo is basically the same as polyester, it's not a natural fiber like cotton is so it's much less absorbent and tends to get a lot of build up.

I switched to cotton flats and workhorses at night which worked much better than bamboo pocket diapers.

I would recommend just using disposables at night only, or purchasing ~3 workhorse diapers and 2-3 plastic covers from Green Mountain Diapers for nights (you could slip your hemp inserts in those if you need a little more absorbency). Maybe do a cost analysis and see which option would be cheaper depending on when you plan to potty train!

@malleeboy I think you could, and I've heard of people doing that, but the problem is that the NN cover has a cloth lining. When that lining gets wet, it causes leaks since the lining extends to the leg elastic which then touches the baby's clothes and the wetness then passes thru to them, if that makes sense.

Go ahead and try it with the NN cover first, and if you're still leaking, then just try buying an all-plastic cover (Thirsties is good quality and also sell on Amazon, so easy to find)

@malleeboy I've only ever used Green Mountain Diapers flats! They're not sold on Amazon, and I haven't tried any other brands, so I'm not sure. I'd look for something 100% cotton and big enough for an 18 month old (GMD sells a large cotton flat for toddlers, I don't know if Amazon has anything like that). The workhorses are also only a GMD product.

@malleeboy A couple questions for better diagnosing of solutions:
Where are the leaks coming from? Top front, back or legs? (Or multiple/all!)

How absolutely-soaked is the cloth when it has leaked overnight? Is it outright dripping or just moderately damp, still some dry spots?

@lifeword
  1. I notice theyā€™re almost always in the leg area! Thatā€™s our biggest problem which is why I worry about the gaps so much, but it seems he even leaks when there are no gaps. However, sometimes itā€™s different areas / all over. Itā€™s just mostly legs.
  2. So itā€™s never been all out dripping, but a large majority of the time itā€™s soaked. We have recently tried the combo of the 6 layer insert and 1 hemp and there were some dry spots, he leaked through but it wasnā€™t nearly as bad as the other leaks / combos. But still enough that Iā€™d be uncomfortable in it, but not soaking his sheets.

Back