Paced bottle feeding?

clarinetscore

I was watching a video on how to do paced feeding. Video said nipple should never be full of milk. But wouldn’t that mean baby is sucking in some air? And is paced bottle feeding necessary if you are using an already super slow flow nipple like dr brown P or pigeon SS? And is it necessary when you are using an anticolic bottle like the dr brown once with those extra blue/green parts?

Thanks in advance! Due w my 2nd in 2 weeks and it feels like i’m cramming for an exam lol🤣 my first was boob fed all the way so i know nothing about how to bottle feed the right way…

@noah13 A major benefit to EFF! Love being able to let baby drink at whatever pace she wants without stressing about a preference or anything. She likes it too as she gets bored quickly lol

@noah13 I read a bit more and finally understood what you meant by flow/bottle preference. It’s funny because with my first one, we exclusively breastfed but he hated my breast’s fast flow and had multiple nursing strikes, so i thought babies generally prefer slower flow… but i guess every baby is different!

@clarinetscore I never did this bc I had the same concern (about baby sucking in air). Baby has been fine as far as I can tell 🤷‍♀️.

The only thing about not doing this method is the baby may be more likely to develop a flow preference if you are also trying to nurse (definitely happened to us). But if you’re planning to go EFF from the very beginning that’s less of an issue.

@clarinetscore We did paced feeding when our baby was really young because she’d sometimes drink too fast and spit up. She swallowed some air but I think overall it encouraged her to take breaks as needed. She stopped needing the paced feeding around 3 months maybe? But we still use low flow nipples.

@clarinetscore The way I understand it is, nipple is never full BUT the tiny hole always has contact with the milk. I do paced too, and I’ve managed to figure out just how to hold and move it in a rhythm such that there’s never any air intake. It takes a while to figure out but then it becomes second nature.

Also! Paced is not necessary for the super slow flow, but it depends on your baby and how old they are. I started with the P nipple (dr browns with the anticolic) and paced, and now at 4 months, I use a level 1 dr browns and my babe isn’t choking and spitting up anymore, probably because she’s able to control the intake, so I don’t need to pace.

I’d say start with the P nipple and then see if you need to pace in the beginning.

@clarinetscore Got a 2.5 y.o. that was EFF and currently EFF with my 1 month-er. We used the Dr browns vented as well and started with preemie flow nipples. Baby is only sucking air if the hole isn't covered and you'll hear the air moving. I don't think the "never let the nipple be full" rule applies to vented bottles since air can flow in and out. Think about the way water goes glug-glug-glug out of a bottle as air is trying to get in. Paced isn't necessary, but it helps if milk is pooling around baby's mouth. Even with vented bottles and preemie nipples I pace but the kid is still eating if we don't.

@clarinetscore Avent Natural. My bub needed flow 3 from the get-go and you need to line up the nipple vent with the little notch in the ring for best results. Even with her Mam bottles though she regulates her eating just fine.