Older baby too big for C curve

Hi all - I've searched the sub and thought this would be a common topic, but maybe it is just me... :0

I bedshare with my soon to be 8 month old baby girl. I'm a small person (5''2). Baby used to be small too but she's grown rapidly!!

She likes to fall asleep on the boob at night. When she was little, this wasn't an issue. We slept peacefully together in the C curve. Now, though, she wants the boob in her mouth but not only is she bigger (so it's already a very tight squeeze if she curls her legs up), she wants to stretch out her legs and occasionally flip into star fish.

This pushes my legs down and I end up in a very uncomfortable position.I have a pillow behind my back and a buckwheat pillow between my knees but I'm basically tilting precariously on my side all night. She can't sleep unless the boob is accessible and I am touching her in some way.

Second night in a row w 3 hrs sleep total and I'm at a loss. I'm also keeping her up with all my tossing around trying to get comfortable.

When did you transition out of the C curve? How did you sleep with an older baby? Do bedsharing families go through some sort of process to shift to a different sleep position? It was so natural when she was a newborn and now I can't figure it out...

@ashleychristine8 I transitioned out of the c curve at about 4 months. My daughter is almost 11 months now and I nurse her to sleep on my side, then when she’s asleep, I detach and make sure she’s on her back and I lay on my back or my side. Facing her or away. Honestly however I feel comfortable. It feels safe to me. She’s able to hold her own.

@ashleychristine8 I start out on my side and once babe stretches out I roll onto my back so we’re both on our backs next to each other. I use a contour pillow between my knees and it stays in between my legs pretty well as I switch between side and back. My babe doesn’t need me to touch her all night long tho, as long as she gets a boob when she wants it she’s happy.

@ashleychristine8 At nearly 7 months old, but 96th percentile for height, I’ve found sleeping on my back is helpful when my side is no longer comfortable . Babe also doesn’t need to be touching me all night so it makes it easier. I’ve never woken up facing away from her and I still keep my arm stretched out over her head. We’ve not had any issue with it. I’m definitely interested in transitioning her to a floor bed soon though.

@ebuzi Oh interesting. Hadn't heard of using a floor bed at this age. We have the babybay and I've thought about putting it at floor height with the grates up against our mattress (our mattress is on the floor). But don't think we're there yet since she seems to need comfort nursing a lot :p