Not sure what my limitations will be in my Pilates routine/ career after just confirming my pregnancy

youngdavid

I just confirmed my pregnancy at my OB. I’m 4w4d. I started Pilates randomly last July, and just committed to a studio in January. I’ve been going 3-5x a week since I joined my studio and already noticing a difference in my strength and appearance! I was even considering starting my certification course this June.

I’m a fairly fit person, 5’4”, 112lbs. I used to pole dance and I regularly hit 8k-10k steps. My studio is extremely traditional, slow, controlled Stott Pilates, nowhere near HIIT or Solidcore vibes. One of my two instructors was a L+D nurse and certified midwife specializing in prenatal Pilates, though I haven’t told her yet obviously.

Will I have to delay my certification course? Should I stop Pilates all together since I’m only really 2 months in committed? I’ve heard you shouldn’t start new exercises. At what point do I need to tell my instructor?

I can’t see my OB for a chat about it all until my first ultrasound in about a month. Hoping I can get some guidance. Thanks!

@youngdavid In the first trimester, you can keep exercising just like before pregnancy, as long as it feels good. Obviously, you can tell your trainers you're pregnant whenever you want, but from a workout standpoint, they don't have to know until the 2nd trimester.
From the 2nd trimester onwards, you'll have to be careful with your abs to prevent coning. In the 3rd trimester, lying on your back is also not recommended anymore. I found that around 18 weeks, certain pilates exercises caused coning. I don't know what the certificate course entails, but if it requires you to do lots of exercise on your back or lots of exercise putting strain on your core, it might be better to delay the course. If it's okay to do a modified version of pilates, you might be good to go for far into the 3rd trimester, depending on your symptoms

@youngdavid It’s going to depend on your individual pregnancy which isn’t really predictable.

Most people experience fatigue during first trimester so depending on whether you’re impacted by fatigue and nausea (which worsens fatigue because you can’t fuel yourself properly), the decision to continue Pilates in the next few weeks may be made for you 😅

As for the certification course, by June you will be just over 20 weeks pregnant and that is when most will advise you to be careful about doing core/ab exercises and laying on your back. That said, I know many people who did reformer Pilates throughout their pregnancy (1-2x a week) and my pelvic floor PT assessed me and said I would be fine to continue doing all core work including on my back until I feel uncomfortable. So whether you can do the course depends on the intensity and how you’re feeling.

Personally, I would cancel the course but continue Pilates as long as I felt comfortable, which is the recommendation for any exercise during pregnancy. I mean, you could walk every day and then develop pelvic issues like SPD and have to limit walking!

@youngdavid Obviously listen to your OB but someone in my yoga teacher training was pregnant during it and I honestly think it gave her an advantage because she got to have that unique experience! Def talk to the instructors because you’ll need to modify stuff at 20 weeks but it will really depend on how you’re feeling. I’m 24 weeks and still perfectly fine on my back (even sleeping on my back) but a friend of mine couldn’t past like, 15 weeks. So ymmv! But definitely talk to the instructors and your OB to see what they say. IMO it’s not too early to tell a trusted professional, I told all my fitness instructors right away with the caveat that “you never know” and it was early and they all understood.

@youngdavid I have just now started having to modify some core moves at 20w! I think we do the same style of Pilates and it has been wonderful for me throughout pregnancy so far. I told my instructor when I was about 7w just because I wasn’t sure if I needed to make any adjustments right away or not. Everyone’s body is different but I think just continuing as you have been, pay attention to your body and modify/rest as needed, and talk to your instructor when you feel comfortable and get her insight on doing the certification course.

@youngdavid I’ll add if my oh do embark on this, get in to see a pelvic floor PT on a recurring basis so that they can tailor feedback on how your body is responding to certain exercises