No colostrum at 36 hours postpartum

@sam4242 Your milk hasn’t come in yet. Keep putting baby to breast every 2-3 hours (or pump). It will come. I formula fed my baby and supplemented her at the start. Also had a traumatic c section.

@sam4242 Just keep pumping. I had a c-section at 37 weeks and my twins were both taken to NICU. I was able to pump tiny bits of colostrum for the first day and then had 1-2 days with nothing. I kept pumping and my milk started to come in on day 4, my supply grew slowly and steadily from there. I think it’s normal to not produce much the first few days.

@sam4242 First, congratulations on your baby and your new journey of motherhood. One thing I had to accept when it came to my journey of motherhood was that I am not in control and things don’t always go to plan. I encourage you to keep trying and do your best not to get discouraged. Also I read some other comments that reminded you to rest and take care of yourself. That’s true too! Try not to worry about your colostrum and milk production. You’re doing your best. Sending love and healing! (Also I had a C-section too)

@sam4242 keep pumping. i also didnt get to pump until 9 hours after birth. i had the flu before delivery and due to the meds dried up any leaking and couldnt produce colostrum until 3-4D post partum and my milk didnt come in until almost 7D. I wasnt able to latch baby until day 5. Just keep pumping, hand expressing. I know its so hard when your in so much pain and recovery, its only temporary.

@sam4242 Went through something similar except mine was planned c-section. (Had no choice the baby was breech we tried to turn him it didn’t work) then I had a hard time breastfeeding the hospital fucked up and kept encouraging me to give him bottle because his blood sugar was low. They didn’t offer something else to feed him with. Then from there on it went down hill he never latched and I got lazy with pumping because I wasn’t producing enough to feed him I still had to give him formula. Eventually he ended up in formula only. I still feel guilty about the whole thing mainly the breastfeeding part not the c-section

@sam4242 Right after my son was born I was able to pump a decent amount of colostrum, but the next morning I tried and got nothing at all. I was super stressed but realized I had forgotten to eat/drink anything because I was so consumed with taking care of him and completely exhausted. I drank a ton of water and ate a good meal and pumped about 15 minutes later. I was able to get a few ounces out! I think the key is giving your body the means to actually produce the milk.

@sam4242 Very similar story. Baby was born at 36 weeks via emergency c-section then rushed to the NICU. It was several hours before we could see him. I still feel guilty that we didn’t get to have that important skin-to-skin and early bonding (but I have a great bond with him now at 14 months).

My little guy had a blockage in his intestines (duodenal atresia) so he was unable to eat for several weeks until he was healed from surgery. Surgery happened when he was 2 days old and I hadn’t tried pumping or expressing until they took him away to the OR. It took 2-3 weeks of pumping every 3 hours (including over night) before my supply came in. I was pumping like 2-5 ml for a long time. Have heart! I ended up a crazy (in a bad way) oversupply once it did come in.

Be kind to yourself. Your body has been through so much and these things take time. Having a baby in the NICU is so stressful but try to relax while pumping - it makes a big difference

@sam4242 You are doing amazing, you are not failing!!! Things didn’t go according to plan, and that sucks, but you will get there!!
My baby was also early and I didn’t get to hold her for the first 6 hours after she was born. I wasn’t producing enough colostrum either to support her. The hospital made me feel terrible that she was losing too much weight and we starter formula. I was so nervous I wasn’t going to be able to breast feed, or that it would cause latch issues. I continued trying to latch and pumping everyday, but it wasn’t enough. My milk finally came in day 6 and she immediately rejected the formula. We have had a smooth breast feeding journey for the past 10 weeks! She went from 6 lbs 10 oz to 12 lb 4 oz by her 8 week appointment. The first week was beyond stressful, but it gets better.
Also, allow yourself time to grieve that the birth experience was not what you hoped for. You will have an incredible bond with your baby, you already do ❤️

@sam4242 You're doing everything you can! Don't be hard on yourself. If you get the chance to do skin to skin or even nurse that will help! I couldn't get much from pumping and I had a pretty "uneventful" birth experience.

In the event baby still can't be held (I don't know if this is actual science but I fully believe it) seeing your baby and smelling them really helps. Does baby have a hat or something the nurses can give you?

@sam4242 You’re doing amazing! I had a (weirdly) similar delivery - 3 hours of pushing, emergency c-section and then baby brought straight to NICU with respiratory distress. Nothing can prepare you for how hard it is to not have that time with your baby right after birth - let alone the impact it can have on your breastfeeding journey (which is the last thing on your mind after that experience!)

It is totally normal in this situation to start off producing some colostrum and then for it to seem to be drying out before your milk comes in - this happened to me too and I was so worried until a nurse at the hospital explained it to me. Your milk will come in, keep pumping and when you get to spend time with your baby breastfeed them as much as you can. Prioritize your rest and recovery as well (as much as possible - I know it’s hard). Donor milk and formula will be great for your little one in the meantime.

My baby struggled to gain weight in the first few days but we stuck with it and are now almost a year in breastfeeding - when I was where you are now, I never thought this would be possible. If you have access to a lactation consultant, I would definitely recommend using them too. You’ve got this mama!!

@sam4242 Hang in there mama! I delivered via C-section as well and it took me 4 days pp to get colostrum. I was feeding my little one from a syringe. Eventually my milk came in and now I’m 4 months strong! I know it’s easier said than done but don’t stress. Your body will do exactly what is supposed to! Drink lots of water, take your prenatals, and breast feed on demand, and pump every 2 hours… ♥️ best of luck to you..

@sam4242 Took me 4 days for my milk to come in I pumped every 2 hours even when nothing would come out and put baby to breast for atleast 10 mins each side and then I formula fed during that time because I had no choice , also lots of skin to skin and don’t look at the pumps I covered mine and looked at pictures of my baby. Your milk WILL come I’m affirming that for you and you will be able to provide for your baby as much as they need. After those 4 days I became a very high volume producer and it’s been 3 months of a very happy baby. You’ll be fine mama.

@sam4242 My milk didn't come in until 5 days PP. I have successfully, exclusively breastfed 15 months. In the early days, I would keep him on the nipple basically 24/7, and when he wasn't on, I pumped. Together, the constant stimulation eventually brought my milk in. We didn't do formula. Was he maybe a bit hungry for a few days? Unfortunately, yes. He lost a little bit of weight. But the triple feeding & pumping brought it in by day 5. Remember, your baby's tummy is the size of a blueberry right now. They don't need much. This may sound scary, but unless your baby was already born underweight or medically complicated, they can stand to lose a little weight and still be okay while your milk comes in. This is a common issue that happens with new breastfeeders, and often the moms get scared that they're starving their babies and give up. Feel free to supplement with formula: BUT! if you supplement too much he won't want to nurse, and then your milk won't come in at all. Have faith and get in contact with a lactation consultant. These early rough days will pass. Breastfeeding gets SOOO much easier and quicker as time goes on. You got this!