need some input from parents for my babysitting business!

haigcraylett

Hi there!

I am currently trying to start my own babysitting business and I’m looking for some input :)

Some information about me:

I am 18 y/o (F), recent high school graduate who is taking a gap year. In an effort to make some extra money, I am looking to start my own side hustle alongside my part time job.

I’m trying to figure out the pricing for my babysitting business, however because I am not in school at the moment and I have flexible hours I can offer parents a variety of services.

Here's what I’m thinking:

1-2 Children:

Before + afterschool care: 18/hr

Before + afterschool care + light housework: $20/hr

3 Children:

Before + afterschool care: $20 /hr

Before + afterschool care + light housework: $21/hr

Before school care includes:
  • Arrive in the morning before school
  • Help get kids ready for school
  • Drop off kids at school
After I drop the kids off at school, I am free to do some light housework around the house.

Light housework includes:
  • Meal prepping/ Preparing snacks for kids
  • Dishwashing/ Tidying the kitchen
  • Laundry + folding
  • Tidying up + organizing
  • Vacuuming
  • Taking out garbage
  • Pet care**
    ** I was thinking I could take care of any household pets during the time the kids are at school, but I am not sure I that would be putting too much on my plate/ I am unsure how much additional to charge
Afterschool care:
  • p/u kids from school
  • give afterschool snacks
  • make sure they do their homework
  • organize an afterschool activity (go to the park)
Additional info:

In my area, the current minimum wage is $15.50 & student wage is $14.60. Teens still in highschool are charging 16/hr for afterschool care.

However, because the services I am offering reflect more of a Nanny/babysitting hybrid and I am doing more than your regular babysitting done by teens, I am hoping that it is acceptable for me to charge slightly more than the minimum wage in my area.

I am also CPR + first aid certified

Lastly, I am open to hearing your feedback!

What are your thoughts on the services I’m offering?

If you are a busy parent, what do you often wish you had an extra hand with around the house?

And what wage range would you consider reasonable for the work I would be doing?

Thanks again!

@haigcraylett I think your rates are reasonable. I would suggest adding breakfast as an option to before school care.

Having someone do the dishes after breakfast would have been a huge help for me.

Also making sure the kids have everything they need for school that day. That would be challenging if you’re not with them everyday though.

Would you be offering any weekend or evening care for date nights?

I would also make sure you have references.

You sound really well prepared. Good luck!

Back