Names pronounced differently by both parents?

@peakdixon We personally picked a name we both pronounce the same. More likely because they will be going to a school where friends and teachers will pronounce his name the same way as his father. I didn't want to be the only one pronouncing the name differently (my family would also, but they live in my home country and we didn't see them often even pre-covid).

@peakdixon My brother has a name that is spelled the same in both languages but pronounced totally differently and never seemed to complain about it. I on the other hand have a first name in one and middle name in the other so one family called me one and one called me the other - it didn’t bother me at all. I have a very strong attachment to my middle name and when I changed my last name to a very white/European name I added my middle name to most of my life

@katrina2017 Very cool! Did you see both sides of the family frequently, or was one name only used during holidays, for instance? Were both used within your immediate family (mom one, dad other)? What does your brother call you?

Sorry for all the questions haha

@longroad I grew up seeing both sides an equal amount, but my immediately family usually calls me by my first name unless we are around Spanish speaking family. My English speaking aunt also married a Spanish speaking person though, so if I were being introduced to someone in Spanish at their house I would be introduced by my middle name. For a while in middle school I also went exclusively by my middle name because my first name is a top 10 name 😭 but my middle name has a cute diminutive so sometimes it’s used affectionately the way you might call your adult child a babyish name just because it’s cute.

My husband is in a similar situation as me (only his middle name works in his heritage language) but he did not have as much contact with family who speaks that language. However, when he visited the country though, everyone calls him by his middle name, and without Facebook they probably wouldn’t know his first/English name.

For our kid we gave her a first name that works in both Spanish/English and has almost identical pronunciations and a middle name in his family’s language. We use her first and middle name any time it needs to be written out (ie: birth announcement, monthly photos, etc) and weirdly my parents call her exclusively by her middle name which is NOT either of their languages. My brother’s wife is bilingual and she refers to my daughter by the slightly different Spanish pronunciation while my brother and I usually say the English one.

Back