My 1y/o eating/biting anything and everything in sight

mileback

Hi everyone, I'd love to hear your input and get some advice. My daughter is just about to turn one and 95% of her activity during the day is with her mouth. She chews and eats everything in sight. She has 7 teeth out already. We no longer look at books because she goes straight into chewing the pages. I don't mind that at all but I don't find it optimal that she's basically eating cardboard. She has plenty of toys she can teeth on from natural rubber, silicone, various fabrics, wood but she doesn't care for these. She started biting the sharp edges on the walls, natural stone fireplace... Any activity I try to do turns into chewing whatever is in my hands - ukulele, steel tongue drum, koshi bells...I tried sensory play with some cooked spaghetti for example and she was just racing to eat all she could.
I know putting things in her mouth is an important part of her development but I'm not sure what kind of activities to do anymore and would love some input from more experienced moms, thank you

@mileback That sounds really normal. I think you just have to come to terms with the fact that she's going to put everything in her mouth right now and don't give her things you wouldn't want her to chew on. Keep doing the activities you're doing! It's totally fine that shes nomming on uncooked spaghetti.

@mileback It seems that some babies need a lot more sensory input in their mouths than others. Mine needs a lot too! Try to lean into it and listen to what baby is communicating, which is “mom I need to CHEW!!” 😂🤣 Give foods that require chewing, and offer a variety of teethers. I’ve learned that stick-shaped chew toys (both hallow ones like straws and solid ones) are great because baby can give input on that molar area. I just bought a couple stick and Y shaped ones from ARK on Amazon for my 1 y/o, actually! There are lots of different textures, shapes, and even vibrating teethers that could really satisfy that sensory need.

And know this is a great opportunity for baby to continue developing their jaw which will serve them well in the future. It’s a good thing! And someday our books will be safe again….just not right now. 😂

@mileback I tried all sorts of teething things for my daughter and she never seemed satisfied with the silicone/rubber type ones. I ended up coming across a brand that made metal teething keys (they look like a bunch of house keys) and she loved them. I can’t for the life of me remember what they were called but I highly recommend!

@mileback Mine is 14 months and is finally moving away from this. Everything went in his mouth for those few months. So many rocks and sticks. I just tried to have cleanish chew toys ready and try to discourage gross things in the mouth (saying bleh icky etc). Didn’t really help so I think it’s just time.

Back