Looking for reassurance. Can anyone explain why a 40 pound 4-year-old can get the same covid vaccine as a 15 pound 6-month-old?

@aussiewife My daughter is also in the Moderna trial. She was 6 months old and weighed 14 lbs when she got the first dose. Obviously all babies are different, but I was incorrectly convinced she got the placebo because she had literally zero side effects. Turns out she got the real thing.

@aussiewife My 3 year old son 25 lbs got the Moderna vaccine yesterday. He had literally zero side effects and seems completely fine today. Wasn't even a bit tired

@aussiewife For a little reassurance, my son was in the Pfizer trial and got his first at about 1 year. Barely any side effects at all (a little fussy maybe?) . Pfizer also reported really good numbers for the 6mo-2year age range even with only 2 shots so it should be roughly similar to moderna and maybe even better once all three

@weaksaint This is cool! May I ask if they were monitoring other levels in him? Like a blood panel? I've just never seen anyone in the trials and wonder what all they were monitoring.

@wilburhentz I am not sure exactly. They did blood draws before each shot, and one month after the second and third.

For 7 days after each shot I had to fill out a daily diary with temperature and different symptoms. I also fill out a survey once a week to say if he has had any COVID symptoms

@aussiewife
A final concern I have is this hypothetical scenario where the baby catches covid but we don’t realize it until the day or so after she gets her shot, and her symptoms are more extreme.

Vaccines are used as treatments for some viral diseases that are caught early, so I don't think this is a realistic concern? My gut tells me getting the vaccination a day before COVID symptoms begin is likely to help, not hurt, but I look forward to more knowledgeable members of the community confirming or denying.

@aussiewife Just an anecdote and not a doctor… and older but my five year old got COVID and symptoms started a couple days after her vaccination. One night of fever and stuffy nose but no severe symptoms. I think that’s similar situation as your last point ?

Back