LH/EWCM questions

manuletha1995

Hi, I’m just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question
Does your LH surge drop at the exact moment when the egg is released or does it drop when the egg doesn’t get fertilized after the 12-24 hours its alive? I hope that makes sense

I also wondered if anyone has experienced only being able to get pregnant within the 5 day window if EWCM is present. I’ve had s** about 4 days but never closer than -3 days before ovulation and never when EWCM was present. I’ve also done it about 12-24 hrs after ovulation with no EWCM. I’ve had s** with no EWCM, and woke up the next morning with EWCM and still nothing. Does it play that much of a critical role? I usually get EWCM the 3 days before ovulation and about 1-2 days after but this week I got it a little early so I think I had s** about 4 days before ovulation, only difference is this time EWCM was present. I’ll find out in 2 weeks. I use OPKs to test but work hours play a role between me and my partner. I guess I just get bummed out. I hear about people getting pregnant 4 days before ovulation all the time and even the day after ovulation. I’m also so nervous about actually having s** 3-1 day before ovulation w/ EWCM and the test coming back negative. I feel crazy. I want to be a mom so bad.

@manuletha1995 LH doesn't drop because the egg is released or fertilized, it just drops as part of the process. The surge triggers the egg to be released (usually) then drops on it's own. The drop can't tell you anything about the egg.

I'm not sure I understand your cm question. You should have sex when you're about to ovulate and you should hopefully have ewcm then. Nothing guarantees you will get pregnant but timing it right he's.

@manuletha1995 Yes, there's no feedback system that tells your lh to drop. You could have an lh positive test after your egg had been released. That's why the most predictive test is the first positive opk. After the first positive, your body normally releases the egg within 24-48 hours. The lh tests are just telling you when you've got a certain lh threshold. A certain concentration of lh triggers the release of the egg. After a positive opk the best way to know whether you actually ovulated is tracking your temperature. You can have a positive opk and not ovulate though it's unusual. I agree with the person who recommended Taking charge of your fertility.

@manuletha1995 Glad to help. I think you will find the book very helpful in understanding the whole process. I also think temperature tracking and OPK's are great to understand your cycle better and maximize likelihood of pregnancy. Good luck!

@manuletha1995 Have you read any books on the topic? I learned a LOT about cervical fluid from the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It explains the differences throughout the cycle but also what may interfere. Having sex can make it harder to tell what your cycle-related cervical fluid is doing, because sex encourages the body to make some extra fluids (the vagina is naturally lubricating) and some of that can linger. So when you see EWCM without sex, that’s considered “peak fluid” or “super fertile” fluid (different methods call it different things) indicating that the body is about to ovulate and it’s there to help move sperm to the egg. Of course we all know in this sub that is only a fraction of a much larger complicated process, but yes. It is important. I’ll try to come back to this with links but there should be some links in the pinned posts that help.

@manuletha1995 There is an excellent post somewhere in this sub that describes LH as the traffic light, and the egg is the car. LH can turn green and the car could go through the intersection (ovulate), or it could not go through the intersection but the light will still be green. All LH does is tells the ovary “you can ovulate”. This is why tracking LH is great when combined with BBT because a sustained temp rise shows you if the car did in fact go through the intersection when the light turned green.

EDIT Here’s the traffic light analogy post! https://reddit.com/r/TryingForABaby/s/GwrDJ4hxN3

As for EWCM, you can have ewcm leading up to, during and after ovulation. It’s different for everyone. Some women get a lot, others don’t get more than a wet/slippery sensation. It’s also important to note that ewcm can be higher up near the cervix and might not be easily felt if you’re just doing a “surface check”. Generally any “slippery” or lubricative feeling down there is fertile mucus and dry/sticky is not.

Back