Kitchen planning

proven

We're embarking on an addition and renovation of our home this year, and it's time to start working on plans for the kitchen layout. I'm yrying to gather information and ideas from all corners of the internet about how to make our kitchen efficient and practical for our needs, but I haven't found a lot specific to larger families. Any ideas that you have seen, done, or wish you had in your kitchen, specific to a home full of kids?

It's an open kitchen-dining space, 24'x26'. The kitchen area is L-shaped with a large island. Specifics: we have (almost) 5 kids age 7 and under and regularly host extended family and church group gatherings. I cook 95% of our meals, we garden and can and freeze produce. Resale is not really a factor, we plan to be here on this farm as long as we are able, and hopefully one of the kids will be interested in taking it over when they're adults.

(I've had a 6'x9' kitchen for the last 3.5 years, my standards are super low and I don't want to miss out on incorporating something because I juuuust want more space. And a dishwasher.)

@chrisb4 I have thought about it, but I don't see us using 2 dishwashers. In a couple years, I'll have a few extra hands to help wash anything that doesn't fit in the dishwasher, at least!

@proven I wish I could point you towards Farmhouse Vernacular but she sadly left YouTube. Anyway, you should look into/ research kitchen efficiency. People feel like they need way bigger kitchens nowadays because our use of space isn’t smart. Which is not to say that you getting a bigger kitchen is a bad thing - not at all! - but rather a warning that if you don’t keep efficiency in mind, the bigger space might actually make cooking more work if it ads a lot more moving around the space for every single task you’re trying to accomplish.

@mariefromtexas Probably the only positive thing about my tiny kitchen is how efficient it is for moving around - everything is literally a drop-step away :) It was probably just right for the older couple from whom we bought our house, but not for a growing family of 7. I'm hoping to achieve a decent sense of efficient workspace while also making room for more than 1 person in the kitchen!

@proven This isn't large family specific per se, but my main kitchen remodel regret is not having more counter space by the stove. We have plenty of counter space - on the other side of the kitchen. I also wish we somehow had a little more wall space because there's nowhere to hang up anything, like a calendar, etc.

Large family related - I wish we didn't get white cabinets.

Best feature we do have - large pantry cabinet with slide-out shelves.

@proven Still only on two kids myself but more planned in the future. Here's my desired future kitchen list based on the house my parents designed for four kids. I cooked in the kitchen in high school and when visiting home as a young adult so got to experience how useful these things were.

Two ovens
Space for a giant fridge (also another fridge/freezer in garage)
Six burner gas stove top
Deep, two sided sink big enough for large pots
Large pantry, preferably walk-in
All the storage/cabinet
Warming drawer below stove*

*This is a maybe for me but it was super useful for making anything that requires batches for a crowd (e.g. waffles, tortillas, etc.) Could use an oven for this too.

@porcupine73 Good list - we have/will have another stove, fridge and deep freeze in the basement and another full-size sink in the mudroom/laundry room for stashing away dirty pots and pans (and when the kids are bigger, a 2nd washer of dishes). I'm planning on a 36" range to accommodate easier cooking with large pots and pans.

I'm looking forward to more pantry space so I don't have to stack things on top of the fridge and stove to keep them off of my 3 ft2 of useful countertop!

Back