Just learned that cash register receipts are FULL of BPA

@kickthichphattiren689 I mean, I have worked in a few places and not printing a receipt was an option. Just don't be the person who tries to return things and then say "well they never gave me a receipt!".

I don't love it being linked to credit. But I agree another system would be nice. But until then - junk email accounts fix the problem 99% of the time.

@daxy24 Perfectly fine by me. Miles better than some people that throw them back at me 😓 Our receipts print automatically so I'll still have to throw them out, no escape for me.

@daxy24 I hope that’s okay because I do that constantly to avoid handling receipts! My husband feels weird about it so he always takes them, which drives me crazy.

@daxy24 People do that all the time haha. They always did even before thermal paper and before anyone knew of this link. They just don't always want a piece of trash.

I used to ask "Would you like a receipt?" and if they said no, which was fairly regular, I would just throw it straight in the bin that was next to me.

If they were getting a bag then I generally put the receipt straight in the bag without asking them, but since shops started to charge for bags, that is less common too.

@al8115 Yeah, receipt paper is the worst offender for BPA contamination. I recently heard it is also hard to wash off, though I am not sure how true that is.

@al8115 I’ve known this since trying to conceive since it can impact fertility. I try to avoid touching receipts as much as possible and I definitely never let my kid handle them. I cringe inwardly when I see cashiers handling receipts without gloves. Also the Costco checkers.

@al8115 Yeah I read about this. I try to never touch them now and wash my hands before touching my kid. This stuff is everywhere though... we live in an extremely toxic modern world unfortunately, you can only control so much

@al8115 Oh fuck. We have a thermal printer at our house we use to make shipping labels! Thank you so much for sharing this info! Of all the things to worry about i never thought receipts would be a concern

@al8115 I heard about this from a doctor I followed on Instagram 2 years ago. Just adding that if you touch the receipt right after using hand sanitizer, the alcohol makes the absorption waaaay faster. I was doing that when the pandemic started. My PCOS got way worse in 2022, wasn't just from the few extra lbs I put on during the pandemic in hindsight.

Back