IUD insertion pain vs labor pain

sister53

Alright y’all. Give it to me straight. For those that got an IUD after birth, how does the pain compare? I’ve always done cycle tracking because I was never worried about getting pregnant if we had an accident, but now we DO NOT want to get pregnant right now. I had a bad reaction to three different pills, so now I’m looking into IUD.

During my (50 hours of) labor, I had a balloon inserted and I ended up getting an epidural at 5/6cm after 24 hours of labor. And then of course it ended in an emergency c-section! All that to say, I feel like I’ve experienced a decent amount of pain down there (balloon, contractions, c-section recovery), but I’m so terrified of IUD pain and just want to know what I’m getting myself into!!

From what I’ve heard it’s so much worse than doctors make it out to seem, please tell me your experience!

@sister53 IUD prebaby was the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life. IUD at 8 weeks postpartum was maybe a 2/10 on the pain scale, I barely felt it at all. Labor is hours of pain vs the IUD that is maybe 5 minutes of pain.

@sister53 I had an IUD inserted when I was younger maybe 20. I had no reference point then but it was way way way less than a contraction, more like a very intense period cramp. I had that one removed and replaced at 25, and it was not even as bad as the first time. And then that one removed at 30, before getting pregnant and it was nothing. Having now experienced labour - an IUD does not compare at all. Like comparing stubbing a toe to breaking a leg.

@sister53 Honestly I didn't believe the doctor when she said she was done 😅 Post partum IUD was a breeze. Previously it did hurt a bit, like a cramp, but this time I couldn't even tell. Certainly nothing compares to labor!

@sister53 My IUD insertion was completely painless. It was inserted a few days after my period and my Dr had given me a pill to take to soften my cervics. Plus he told me to have a full bladder when I came in because this helps straighten the entry way for insertion. The actual procedure took about 5 minutes. I felt a bit of discomfort. He's a very experienced Dr.

@sister53 Mine literally did not hurt at all. I was holding my son feeding him a bottle when they did it. I know some people have significant issues with pain, but I did not. I think it helped that I was on my period because the cervix was more open.

@sister53 Some feel pain, some don’t. I didn’t. I was told to take 600mg ibuprofen before hand and I only had mild cramping while riding the bus home afterwards (long before I had a baby/pre-baby). It’s very interesting to me that some people have tremendous pain during insertion, I’m unsure what the difference is.

@sister53 My IUD experience was more painful than the average, I think, because I had some scar tissue (probably from my cerclage) that meant they couldn't get through. I ended up going back a second time for dilation and placement under ultrasound guidance.

No sharp pains, thank you local anaesthesia. But some strong cramps/ache type pains with the dilation and getting through the scar tissue. About comparable in pain to my pre-term labor contractions, and therefore likely significantly less painful than full-blown labor. Since I delivered at 26 weeks by c-section, I cannot be certain, obviously.

@sister53 Mine was incredibly painful, but not worse than peak labour contractions. Saying that, I found a couple of months later when it was no where to be found, that my doctor had perforated my uterus and inserted it somewhere in my abdomen. I ended up having it surgically removed. That sucked.

@sister53 How many weeks postpartum are you? My first IUD pre babies was brutal. No where near as bad as birth but way worse than I was expecting and regretted driving myself. My second IUD I got 6 weeks pp and your cervix is still kinda soft so it was a breeze.

@sister53 Got an iud in my mid twenties pre pregnancy- painful, it sucked, I thought I was gonna pass out

Got an iud at my 6 week post partum (long labor, emergency c section) and I didn’t feel the iud insertion at all- it was honestly crazy how chill it was.

IUD was worth the pain the first time, my body does not do well with hormonal birth control and the iud was super effective and I never had to think about it! Good luck!

@sister53 I had two labors with failed epidurals. Compared to labor, my IUD insertions don’t even rank. Literally, two seconds of mild discomfort and then a little cramping. I would get an IUD inserted every day of my life over going through unmedicated labor.

@sister53 I had a copper iud inserted about a year after giving birth. I was given two doses of arthotec, one to take the night before, one about an hour before insertion. I’ve always hated speculums, so that part was uncomfortable but I didn’t feel the actual insertion at all. I didn’t believe them when they told me it was done. Hoping you have a similar experience 🤞

@sister53 I’ve gotten two at six weeks postpartum and the pain was really minimal. At that point your cervix is still kind of soft and open (at least that’s what they told me.) You can also have an insertion with local anesthetic!

@sister53 I had mine placed at either 7 or 8 weeks postpartum and all I felt was an unpleasant tugging sensation for a few moments. It was weird, but I wouldn't call it painful. I think my OB did give me some kind of numbing spray before which helped.

Back