I'm writing a kids book (ages 3-6) about mental illness and need some advice

@sab8 I do, because I have a five year old and a three year old. In the toddler years I referred to it as medicine that I take every day, because they are not to touch ANY medicine AT ALL unless me or my husband is administering it to them. We developed a respect for meds well before explaining what they were for.

The five year old understands that I am prescribed medication / take medicine for various things my body can't do very well, including a pill for helping calm my brain (antidepressants).

Also - be sure to include in your book the difference between viruses and mental illness, and the difference between having an off week and a chronic condition. It's the cloud that won't go away that you have to treat, not the raincloud that pours but leaves after a while.

@camillanorigera I'll definitely emphasize the difference between viruses and chronic mental illness. I'd hate to confuse a kid like that. I'll also emphasize it helping your brain. A lot of people here seem in consensus on that. I'm glad I asked! Thank you!

@sab8 I'm bipolar and think this is a very interesting ask. My kids are 3 & 7.

I'm pretty transparent with them. They know I go to a 'feelings doctor' (therapist) and she helps me keep my feelings from getting so big that they get me flooded and make me too angry or too sad. We're teaching mindfulness and self-regulation skills so this language is known.

I take 'meds' or 'medication' and the kids help me fill my weekly pill bottles. I need the meds because my brain doesn't work the same as most people. It gives me bigger feelings and makes it harder to control them. My brain lies to me and gives me thoughts that aren't true and I have to learn to tell those thoughts they're wrong!

I can't imaging having bipolar manifested as I do and keeping it from the kids. They're volatile because they're kids and get flooded so easily. But I'm volatile because my brain doesn't work the way most people's do, and the things I'm learning about myself will help them, and if they happen to be diagnosed later in life, they'll have good tools to get them started in self-regulation. They see me cry, a lot. They see me have anxiety attacks and it's impossible to totally hide my mental illness from people who live with me, but I do my best.

Any book describing mental illness should have some mention of the fact that it can be scary for the kids. Try not to be too condescending. They're small and young but not stupid.

@katrina2017 The last thing I want to do is to be patronizing to kids. When I was a kid I hated being talked down to. It always made me feel stupid. You raise a good point about it being scary. I'm definitely going to add it.

@sab8 Medicine here, our girls are older, we explained about neurochemicals and how if your brain doesn't make the right ones, store bought is sometimes a good substitute. But to always talk to a doctor you trust about things like that, because they can also hurt as they help.

Mental health and mental illness fit in with a bigger conversation that we are always having about how we are all different, and how we each live inside out own heads, and have to communicate if we want others to know what we are thinking or feeling.

@ayaba I'm putting a big emphasize on medication in the book, and I'm glad to see I'm not wrong there. I even have a part where she mentions the meds might not work, but if that happens the adult character promises to talk to her doctor about it.

I really appreciate your comment.