I wrote a children’s book to explain viruses to kids…. so you don’t have to

kowalskil

Hi all! I have a graduate degree in bioengineering, work in STEM, and doodle for fun. As the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I felt there was a ton of information being thrown at us all at once (and of it some misinformation). There was also a big gap of materials catered to kids that explains it in a simple, easy way. Sooo…. in my spare time, I wrote a children's picture book that explains Viruses and COVID-19 Pandemic (so you don't have to!).

I put up a digital copy for FREE here.

If you want, you can also buy a hard copy here.

Any support is very much appreciated! This is a part of a series where I try to explain more advanced STEM concepts to kids. I also wrote a book about CRSPR here.

TLDR; created a ELI5 picture book to explain viruses

@kowalskil Hi. First off, I personally love this, it's well drawn, and informative... But it's also scary, kids in hospitals, the words "deadly" etc. Ofc it's important that kids take it seriously and practise good hygiene but it makes me doubt it will help those in my moms group.

They have 3 year olds with bad anxiety, germaphobic and panicking to adjust their masks when joggers get too close, asking their parents if the parents/grandparents are going to heaven, being sad and moody, attacking siblings... The little ones just can't understand it and it's hard to know if the answer is to give ALL the information (which is hard because we dont know ourselves yet, timeline of vaccine etc) or try to give good advice while doing our best to be reassuring.

On balance I think a kids book needs to be informative AND reassuring, or maybe this ones for 7+ or something. Apologies for the ramble and the criticism, I'm sure others will disagree, just my two cents. I think a lot of adults would benefit from the book as it's very well out together.

@leematthew1234 I wrote a "social story" about COVID-19 for my 2.5 year old upon recommendation from a psychologist I have seen about my daughter's anxious temperament. I have read quite a bit of info on anxiety and found that some of my daughter's post-covid behaviours (more tantrums, more defiance, more stuttering, etc.) have decreased since reading this story to her (among other things). I didn't want to post it originally because it is personal, but I decided to change all the names and block out the faces so you can get an idea of what could be created for very young children who may be feeling scared and anxious but are definitely not going to understand most of the children's stories that have been written (nothing against those stories, but they are usually aimed at school-aged kids). Maybe this social story might help some of the moms in your group!

Two key factors in my stories (in case you plan on writing your own ;) )
  1. Every word is known to my daughter. No new vocab. I would make an exception for the word "covid" or "virus" if that was being said a lot in the home, but my daughter doesn't hear those words so I didn't include it in my book.
  2. The story is extremely personal (with lots of pictures) so she relates to each page.

@waterflow Thank you! I can see how this would be easily adaptable. It acknowledges and addresses the changes going on in a child's life, which is really their main focal point. A lot of people think children's books are just cartoons & explaining things in a simple way, but that's just an adult writing for child... Instead of thinking about what the child thinks & feels like you've done

@leematthew1234 Thank you for noticing! I'm really glad that my focus on looking at the situation from the child's perspective is coming through. I think many children's books are about teaching a concept or telling a story that an adult thinks a child will like, but my strategy is to focus on addressing fears/anxiety by analyzing (I'm an engineer!) how the child's world changes and how the child can then relate to that new world in a calm/happy/positive way (helping is a main concept that I think works well for the young child/toddler since they tend to gravitate towards being "helpers" at that stage in life).

I've also used this strategy to write about the elevator (my child has a new fear of that) and of a bike trailer that my 2 year old niece is afraid of getting in! There are so many ways to use personalized stories to help little kids! I just need to find some more time :)

@leematthew1234 Thanks for the feedback! I tried to end the book on a lighter note with the more cheerful kids and brighter imagery. Giving the viruses and immune system a more playful look was also my way of making it relatable to kids.

The footnotes are there for the adults. But I tired to keep the main part of the book lighter.

@kowalskil I meant even without the footnotes it's very heavy. Overall it's kinda got a ... "We're doomed but hey kids wash your hands!" Vibe, like tacking on the cheerful at the very end. But yeah I appreciated the info, plenty I didn't know myself since the news outlets argue back and forth on things

@leematthew1234 For anyone whose kids are familiar with the concept, we liked the Masks are a Mitzvah book mentioned here. I especially appreciate that it emphasizes mask-wearing as something we’re all doing for others instead of out of fear for ourselves.

@kowalskil That’s awesome. But as a mom of a kid who has anxiety over dying (his grandma passed away at 3 and we did everything “right”) I wouldn’t be able to read this book to him.

Some of the images get really dark and defeats the point. Hospitals shouldn’t be pictured as scary places to be.

Hospitals are great places - regardless of the reason for going because at hospitals you have doctors and nurses who are there to help you.

I think it’s a great idea but needs some refining - especially since it seems you’re aiming this towards younger kids.

@kowalskil The 1.8 meters illustration was fun to see.

Usually people say 2 meters in country that use them. But the directive got approximated to 6 foot in USA. Then I imagine it got translated back to 1.8

Back