I have some questions about this rtf formula I’m considering buying for when I come home from the hospital after birth

kbo

So I’m on WIC and was told that the formula WIC will be approving is Gerber Gentle. I’m unsure what formula the hospital will be providing, but I’m thinking it will likely be something different from what I’ll get from WIC.

Ideally I’d like to switch the baby to the WIC approved formula as soon as possible, and I’m just hoping that will go well..

I’ve never done any of this before, so sorry if these are dumb questions:
  • is it okay to switch the baby to a different formula once we get home from the hospital?
-the formula im looking at (in the photo linked below) says each bottle contains 8.45 oz, but I read that in the first week the baby will only be eating 1-2 oz per feeding.. is it okay to pour the rtf formula into a different bottle and feed a couple oz at a time, then save the opened bottle of rtf formula for the next feeding? Am I correct that just formula that has touched baby’s lips can’t be saved for the next feeding?

-and lastly, if any of you have experience with being on WIC, if the baby’s pediatrician recommends a different type of formula for some reason, will I be forced to start buying the recommended formula without the help of WIC or does WIC approve other formulas if they’re recommended by the pediatrician?

the formula I’m looking at

@kbo Yes you can switch. Make mixies if possible for a bit while switching over to avoid them getting mad at the taste change if they've been in the first one a long time.

Yes you can pour into a separate bottle, in fact this is recommended as RTF formula should be discarded 2 hours after baby first puts mouth to bottle, but 24 hours after opening, so if you know they won't eat 8oz (which they won't as newborns) the separate bottle is the way to go.

I don't know about WIC but I do know some people that got super special formula dor tummy troubles like Nutramigen covered by insurance once prescribed by the ped.

@kbo Ita alright too if you’re not able to do a mixed/gentle switch. Baby might not like the new taste and may be a little uncomfortable/gassy but it won’t harm them!

Anecdotally, we did a cold turkey switch when we got home and baby was fine.

@kbo Yeah it's totally just to avoid them being pissy. They'll get over it if it's not possible, even if they yell at you about it at first.