I feel like such a f**k up

bonbon87

So I went on maternity leave 2 weeks ago and now I have to go back to work, and it's no one's fault but my own. I never checked if I had enough hours to qualify for maternity leave and I'm 57 hours short...

Thankfully my boss is letting me come back 2 days a week, but that means I need to work at least 5 hours every day I'm there, and that brings us right up to the week of my due date.

I'm thankful at least that it is a doable amount of hours and if I could make it to just 6 hours a day that would give me a week before my due date to be off again.

But what if our little babe decides to come early? What if I can't make it to 5 hours every day (this could be physical limitation or simply there isn't a lot to do)? Why didn't I just check to see how many hours I had before I stopped working?! Why am I like this....

@bonbon87 Wait… you’re allowed to take maternity leave before your due date? I wish I was able to where I’m from it doesn’t start until baby is born and boyyyyyyy am I uncomfortable

@grammytania In Canada you can start it up to 12 weeks before your due date. I know that I am beyond lucky to have access to the benefits that I do and I keep reminding myself of that whenever I get too down about this situation.

@grammytania The US medical system is such a travesty, I am so sorry!

Around here daycares won't even take infants less than one year old... I don't know how y'all manage over there but it is impressive how you deal with such an unfair system!

@grammytania Where in the US are you located? Because i get 4 weeks before my due date, and then im given 6-8 weeks for postpartum recovery and finally the 12 weeks of FMLA

@rubby I'm in GA. I get up to 12 weeks unpaid FMLA. Rumor is that I may qualify for 3 weeks of pay during this time due to a new law set to take effect in January, but I don't know for sure yet.

@bonbon87 Wow that's handy. I can start whenever I want but that amount gets taken off the other side so I'm pushing it at late as I possibly can (38 weeks is the latest we're allowed to work here) to get as much time when she's here. How long do you get in total?

@edwarayers I think I’ll be doing the same. Luckily, I think I’ll be able to work from home during the last 1-2 weeks before taking leave so I can be home in case go into labor.