I’m hearing a lot of people having miscarriages with single baby’s at 4 months

chessmaster777

Anyone else have experience with miscarriages after 12 weeks? Especially with twins. It’s scary hearing people with single babies having miscarriage at nearly 4 months.

@chessmaster777 According to a few good sources, including Cleveland Clinic (which I really like for straightforward medical information!) any given person's miscarriage risk in the second trimester is between 1 and 5 percent, and that range will depend on a variety of factors specific to the person (age, other health issues, etc). So your personal risk of miscarriage after 12 weeks is statistically quite small, even if you do have some of those risk factors. However, about 20% of all miscarriages that occur happen after 12 weeks--so when you are hearing specifically about miscarriages, miscarriages after 12 weeks might SEEM overrepresented--but again, that's in talking about miscarriages that DO occur rather than simply risk of one occuring at all.

The other thing that I think happens (at least, it sure does to me!) is a bit of confirmation bias--you start to believe the thing you are worried about is definitely true and suddenly you see it everywhere. Our brains are already prone to confirmation bias because we LOVE to seek patterns, but you know what I think makes it infinitely worse?? Finely tuned social media algorithms. If you watch one Instagram reel all the way through with hashtags about late miscarriage, you know what Instagram is going to think you want to see more of? Late miscarriages! Suddenly they will be HUGELY overrepresented in your slice of life because the algorithms have decided that's what you want, and it is a tall task convincing your brain that this doesn't mean they are super common.

I know this response isn't exactly what you are asking for, but I hope it is a bit helpful. I am a person who has lived with general anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember and one thing that has hugely helped me to control and regulate worry spirals is learning to frame the world around me using logic and statistics (in addition to still very much valuing personal stories and anecdotes).

@chessmaster777 I had five healthy singletons followed by five miscarriages, at 7, 9, 18, 9 and 6 weeks respectively. I wish I had pushed more to have my hormone levels checked after the first miscarriage. When I lost my daughter at 18 weeks, it was due to an unknown reason and we still don't know why. It haunts me.

After these losses I had my twins, perfectly happy and healthy, at 38 weeks. They will be one tomorrow.

@chessmaster777 I had 5 losses before the twins. I worried a lot until the age of viability, then worried about premature labour after that.
Ultimately there’s not much you can do, but stressing about it doesn’t help. Just be aware of your body and communicate with your doctor(s)

@chessmaster777 I think the stats are roughly 1of4 pregnancies end up in miscarriage. Most of the time they are very early.

We lost one late before our twins. It was terrible. Ended up making the twin pregnancy the most stressful time of my life (actually 2nd to losing the initial baby)

Had a few early over the years that ended up being nonviable.

Most of the time, it's things out of your control. Do your best not to worry (easier said, than done).

@sam26 There have been numerous studies done which state otherwise.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, there are several factors that put a woman at an increased risk of miscarriage. I was not just in my 20's.