I’m an idiot and MatLeave in this country sucks

@jedidiahanointing It came about 2 yrs ago. Many states are adopting it. Instead of couples buying a home for the school district, they'll now be choosing a state that benefits their beginning of a family.

@hclaney You’ve inspired me to look into Connecticuts process and start lobbying my state for the same! Our current governor and legislative body is one that I genuinely feel would be open to this.

@scott0218 Yes. I accept responsibility for not paying attention to my paycheck situation better.

But the country I live in, in 2023, still does not recognize the physical, mental, and emotional toll that pregnancy and childbirth has. There is zero support for women going through this, let alone their partners who are also going through this. If supports were in place, I wouldn’t have to worry about losing nearly 6 months of pay just for a meager 9 weeks of leave. If the country put laws in place to protect and support the childbirth process, it would be much easier.

You know it’s possible to feel multiple emotions at once, right? Shame for my own mistake and anger that a system is set up like this?

Back