I’m an idiot and MatLeave in this country sucks

@stopsigntheology I love your comment, not the biggest, not the best. All the moms I’ve talked to just want a few simple things: job security, at least part of their paycheck (some voted 100%, many were even cool with the 60% many other countries do!), and TIME. I feel like that’s not outrageous to ask for?

@jedidiahanointing 186 countries have federally mandated paid maternity leave. Only 6 don't, the U.S. and five island nations in the pacific. We need to vote for candidates campaigning for paid family leave ASAP. Our country has the money to change this situation, we just need the political will. There are enough of us, we just need to start talking about it and keep talking about it to make change eventually.

@jedidiahanointing You’re frustrated, and rightfully so, and everything I have to say is a complete aside— but I just want you to know that you’re not a dumbass. You made a miscalculation, as we all do! And you’re actually pretty fucking smart, I’m sure of it. Be kind to yourself, always— but especially now, when times are not ideal. You’ve got this!!!

And fuck the system that leaves our childrens’ teachers high and dry.

@jedidiahanointing I'm assuming you work in education based on your paycheck situation. Same thing happened to me with my oldest. And I found out during the week of mother's day/teacher appreciation week. I felt appreciated for sure.

Hang in there.

@jedidiahanointing Ugh I’m so sorry. Having a baby is hard enough. The added financial stress and lack of support makes it very hard for a lot of people to WANT to have a baby. I feel fortunate to have paid leave and I will be taking every last day of it.

@jedidiahanointing You are NOT an idiot. It’s so easy to miscalculate this stuff please don’t take it out on yourself. Also, you should have a minimum 12 weeks of paid maternity leave no matter what - don’t forget that. We ALL deserve a min of 3 months paid mat leave. Our jobs aren’t doing us any favors - this is the bare minimum of what we DESERVE.

Being mad at yourself 👎
Being mad at bullshit mat leave in the US 👍

I’m hopeful that it’ll be better for generations after us as long as we are vocal and fight for what’s right. I’m sorry this happened to you - I hope you can relax and enjoy mat leave (as much as one can enjoy mat leave 😂)

@lockupthewolves You’re so encouraging!! My leave is over, I’ve been back for a few weeks now and haven’t been getting paid, hence the panicked email to payroll which launched this entire discussion.

But I can tell you that I worked VERY hard to relax and enjoy my (short) leave. I had severe PPD/A in the past, so I was incredibly proactive this time to avoid it. As a result, I was much more relaxed and enjoyed every day of my lil Velcro baby. I know I’m doing well because when I drop LO off at daycare, I watch them melt into each teacher for snuggles and it brings me joy and relief to see Love/Safety/Security, not pain of separation/jealousy.

Back