Husband forgetting to turn oxygen on

jtmorris

I don't even know the point of this post. Maybe just a rant. I am very careful with my daughter's oxygen. She is in 0.2 l/min. For about the 3rd time I just went to my daughter who was with my husband and saw the oxygen wasn't on. It wasn't on for 1.5 hours. I could tell as her colour wasn't quite right. I'm quite scared about the damage her break from oxygen will do in her future.
They haven't sent us home on any monitoring equipment.

@patti1950 Hello. I’m a pediatrician working in Canada. You would have had an oximetry study on the amount of oxygen your child is currently receiving. This showed that your child is safe on that amount of oxygen and there is no need for a monitor.

Having a monitor at home is only recommended in very specific (and rare) circumstances. In almost all cases we avoid it because of the parental anxiety it causes. There are multiple studies showing increased anxiety and increases in admissions and ER visits with no improved outcome for the children.

As the above poster has written… better off not having been given one.

@mybloodyxxromance Oh yes, we definitely did! And also had an ONO about 6 weeks post-discharge and a few other times while weaning.

Sorry, I should’ve stated that it wasn’t a concern we didn’t have a monitor, as this was discussed with our team! Also why we were discouraged from getting an owlet, as well.

Thanks for sharing this here!

@mybloodyxxromance We went home with a monitor and it went off in the middle of the night usually at least a couple of times per night, and they were all false alarms! It was very stressful and we woke up so many times with our hearts racing and we were very glad to discontinue the use of the monitor

@diagon My twins were born at 34 weeks and spent 2 week in nicu. Before discharge I requested that they turn off the monitors because they were even stressing me out. I take care of children in very similar situations at the hospital and it only really hit home how much you hate the monitor when it’s happening to you and your children. Big learning point for me in the care I give to my patients. There is definitely such thing as too much information.