How to prevent red rash at waistline overnight?

@golgotha61 My understanding was that microfiber was actually fine against skin because while it isn’t super absorbent, it has more of moisture-wicking feel than cotton or some other textile does. And I thought the same for fleece?

Happy to be better educated on this...I’m still a novice.

@kkdaniela Microfiber is actually super absorbent and can suck moisture straight out of baby’s skin. Fleece is not absorbent, but allows liquid to pass through to the absorbent layer beneath (has to be a certain kind of fleece, some just repels).

I personally don’t like microfiber at all and refuse to use it for cloth diapering due to its tendency to hold stink, have compression leaks, etc. It’s cheap to manufacture and absorbent as all get out which is why it’s very prevalent in modern cloth diapers.

@p4m3l4 If having him sleep through on the regular, and thus stay in a wet diaper, make sure you coat the affected area area generously in whatever moisture barrier you’re using. You can also cut a few pieces of fleece that are more ‘diaper’ or ‘hourglass’ shaped to protect that area from being in direct prolonged contact with the wet fitted diaper.

@jacksonstewart Walmart has cheap microfleece blankets for $2.50 each, it’s hard to beat that price for the fabric. You can just buy it by the yard as well though, try to avoid anti-pill and polar fleece though, as they can repel.

@jacksonstewart Sorry I posted this weirdly earlier:

I got remnant fleece from Joann fabrics. It was hot pink but I did not care. Lol.

Most CDers will say ‘microfleece’ but really as long as it’s polyester and allows liquid to pass through you’re good.

Edit: words.

@rudolph This is what I was going to suggest. The great thing about fleece liners is that you can make them whatever shape you want. In this case, the bigger the better. The same shape and size as the whole inside of the diaper would be best. I’ve never had them wick onto clothes either, so don’t worry about tucking in the edges.

Back