How do you find the energy to keep up around the house after the kids go to bed?

mae88

Context: We've got three young kids (5M, 3F, and 6 month old baby) and my wife's a teacher so she's been home for the summer while I work a normal 8-5 office job. Typically it's always been she'll cook and clean what she can during the day with the kids while I'll take over at night.

Ever since our third, it's like at least 60% of the time the energy is just not there at night time after the kids go to bed. The baby goes down around 7 while we tag team bed time ritual with our two older kids until I take my daughter to her room and my wife stays with our son. We then stay in their rooms until they fall asleep while we get pretty tired (getting out before 8) or fall asleep in the process of waiting (and then wake up around 9).

Once we're out I'll start cleaning (do the dishes, laundry, or put away the hurricane of toys) but lately it's getting difficult to put even an hour of work in after bedtime and if I sit down to relax first I just end up falling asleep waking up around midnight or whenever the baby wakes up. This then leaves the mess for my wife to deal with the next day unfortunately and her started to feel overwhelmed once things pile up and she was the last person to clean.

So my question is how do you do it? Back load your daily caffeine for the afternoon and night? Stop doing dinner and bedtime as a family and alternate days? Hire help?

Edit: I should clarify that especially with three kids i do not have the expectation for myself for the house to be spotless. I mostly mean the daily of getting toys off the floor and put in bins, dishes done, and then grabbing laundry and folding instead of letting it sit in the dryer for three days. The stuff where if you let it pile up it gets real bad. I kinda like how /@mec1963-Philippe_Rameau once I sit down I know I’m fucked. Maybe it’s just not letting myself sit down until the dailies are done and just push through the feeling of wanting to take a break

@mae88 Got to find a nice balance of chaos lol. I do 90% of the house work, maybe more. I had to learn to just let some shit go. My bedroom being a catch all of mess and laundry? Sure just let it go. No point in stressing over stuff that never ends. I know for sure that a big reason why I have tons of dishes to do every day is because I have lots of dishes. Meaning that instead of washing a cup or bowl it is easier to just grab another. So I have been slowly getting rid of all the excess. Don't forget paper plates. Some days it's nice to only have forks to clean.

Everyone's idea of clean is different. My MIL is the type that thinks having the toaster out when not being used is messy. I am the type to see that there are literally no clean forks and spoons and decides that homemade chicken strips and fries sounds good for dinner. Also I was never the type to stay with the kids for a long time when putting them to bed. The only thing that ever did was make me sleepy. Even now with my 5 year old its "OK bedtime, go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, lets read one book and get in bed". The toys? I would take away a bunch of toys. Not to be mean but just to minimize the amount that could be out at any one time. Put them in containers then when they are bored pull out the duplo box or whatever and they act like it's brand new lol.

All you can really do is minimize shit in whatever way works best for you and many people need to learn to not worry about things that may not be that important. Like how clean the kids clothes are on a weekend when everyone is home. Have a family friend who has ungodly amounts of laundry partially because she changes the kids clothes every time there is a smudge. Got to let some stuff go.

@yofriend She does. She wants everything cleared off the counters. She has the space and doesnt really cook so I guess its all good. I just could not live like that. I got a small house and a family of six. Stuff is cluttered no matter what and if I tried to live my life how others live I would be miserable. I think a lot people, especially younger parents need to realize this. Living within your means can apply to more than just money, right?

Back