How do you baby wear during the summer?

My baby is huge at 9 months 25 pounds. I currently wear him with the ergobaby 360. As summer approaches, I’d like to wear him for long walks and hikes around the neighborhood.

Do you guys have any tips and suggestions to keep you and baby cool while you baby wear outside? Especially the sweaty zone where your body and baby’s body meet!

@the_creation_center Lightweight moisture-wicking clothes, natural fibers. A lightweight carrier made of natural fibers helps too. Anything padded, polyester (even those with mesh, that’s just hot sweaty plastic too) will be warm. I’d definitely try your Ergo but if you find it too warm switching to a something linen would help.

I’d avoid the hottest parts of the day and stay in the shade when possible.

@the_creation_center Agree with the natural fibers. Wool/silk is great for the summer.

Babywearing will be hot where bodies meet, no matter what. So you want some fabric that can hold a lot of moisture and transport it without feeling wet. Natural fibers do that. Linen, silk, bamboo, hemp, even woven cotton. Mesh is basically plastic and doesn't regulate temperature. It creates an airflow at baby's back where there's no heat but baby's sweaty and then there's a gust. I don't think that's super comfortable.

The waistband and shoulderstraps are most likely where you're going to sweat the most. You could either use a woven wrap in a single layer carry or a mehdai/half buckle for less bulkyness. Back carrying will be less hot than front carrying.

A muslin cloth between the wearer and baby can help, too.

@the_creation_center I live in Hawaii. Have a linen Sakura Bloom Scout. Shaded forest hikes are the way not just bc of heat but to keep baby out of the sun.

I can also hike on the beach bc it’s windy enough to stay cool, but I have to make sure baby is shaded (baby wears hat, pants and socks or I wear a towel draped over us).

@the_creation_center I hike a lot with my dude and switched to a hiking pack and back carry. Your back will get sweaty like it would from a regular pack but baby will be fine! Ours has a sun shade and I would dress him in lightweight long sleeves and pants.

@yosaoller This sounds dumb, but, why is back carrying better? Other than the obvious ease of carrying baby on your back than hunching over when baby is on your stomach side. Does our back get less sweaty? LOL

@the_creation_center Well hiking packs only back carry haha but I find it easier to balance. With a hiking pack baby isn’t right up against your back, the pack has an internal frame like a regular hiking pack would and helps distribute the weight onto your hips as well. They also hold the baby up higher so they can see where you are headed.

@the_creation_center I am usually hiking in mountains for 2+ hours and the hiking pack is a game changer. So much easier on my back. Even back carrying in your ergo will likely be easier once you get over the learning curve of getting them on. With the hiking pack you can also set them down while they are still in the carrier, mine has a kickstand.

@the_creation_center We use the happy baby in full linen and it’s not too bad unless we are in direct sunlight for hours on end and I live in south Florida so it’s very hot here lol. They have linen cotton blends but I haven’t tried those. Inlandmama always has them in stock and does pre orders so you’re guaranteed one if the happy baby site still does their dumb artificial scarcity stuff lol.

Inland mama also has a way better return policy and free shipping. It’s cheaper to get one from them as well than the actual happy baby website

@margstone We also have this carrier in linen and it’s been good for us in Texas. We used an Ergo Omni 360 with my first and had to stop baby wearing in April and by the time it was cooler again in November she wanted nothing to do with the carrier.

@christiancharacter There’s all kinds of different colors. The onbuhimo also comes in linen as well. The original comes in linen/Cotten, tencel, and regular 100% linen it just depends on the color. Some colors are only linen some are cotton/linen some are tencel

Back