How are some bassinet style sleepers with 'soft mattresses' considered safe?

@crash1 Just wanted to say I had the same question when I got my pack and play and saw that their mattresses were pretty... squishy. I don't know. For bassinets, I wonder if it's because the initial months they don't roll much and the recommendation is to move them out of a bassinet when they start rolling? But yeah I was also confused.

Thank you! Yeah I’m torn about the Amazon brand thing. With most other stuff I get on Amazon, I have no qualms about getting the sketchy brand that’s here one day and gone the next and sells identical things to name brands. But it’s a little more concerning when my baby’s life is involved and I’ve never done the new parent thing before.

Thanks for clarifying about the pack n play too!! I’m going to make my best effort to have at least the pack n play work for this baby and use the others as needed… learned a lot about things to register for and what questions to ask, just a little to late to matter! But I’ll keep an eye out for legitimate cribs on Fb marketplace that might be a better option for the long term anyway.