How are people moving their twins from place to place?

shaz7

Hi all! I've got one week old girls, and they're brilliant, but I cannot work out how to move them around e.g. from the house to the car, or from upstairs to downstairs. Obviously I have a pram etc, and places to put them inside (sleep nests) but surely there's a better way than taking one downstairs, then leaving her alone while I go back up and get her sister?

@shaz7 It's totally fine to leave one alone for a few minutes. When they're really small that's just what has to happen. As they get bigger and can hold up their heads you can start carrying both of them at the same time. As for the car, just carry both in their pumpkin seats.

@shaz7 Mine are 8 months and like others, I’m still doing the 1-2 shuffle around the house. Zero chance I can carry two squirmy kids down the stairs. They learn to chill or they cry for 2 minutes - it all works out!

@shaz7 To the car I could get away with them both in their bucket seats. Around the house it was one at a time until they could at least hold their heads up. Then my husband could do both. I couldn't really manage until they were good with a hip carry. They got used to what to expect.

@shaz7 Mine are 6 months now. There's a period that they have strong enough neck control but not too heavy yet so I could carry both around. But that period is short and as they move more and grow heavier I can hardly do it now. For stairs I always do one after another for safety.

@mjarrett Yes luckily mine are slow growers they just turned 1 and are only 19.5 and 21.5 lbs so I can still carry both easily and carry their car seats together but I’m so sad to be moving to convertible car seats 😫

@sesquiterpene Yes, mine are about to be 6 months and I’m wondering how this will work when we move to convertible car seats? I’m planning to ditch the bucket seats around 1 year, maybe a little longer. I have a 4 year old forward facing, but not quite able to buckle and unbuckle herself. I can’t figure out who’s going to sit where in the car when we change seats. They’re currently 3 across with the older behind the passenger side and the twins in the middle and driver side. I have a third row with 2 seats, currently both folded down for cargo space because the double stroller is big. If anyone with 3+ kids has advice please share!

@msrain50 I’ve seen other moms with only 2 rows discuss putting the biggest in the middle so they can at least climb into their seat, saving your back a little, then putting the smaller ones in through the doors on their respective sides.

The other configuration I thought was neat was putting the 2 youngest in the back row and the oldest in the middle row, putting down/removing the unused seats. It gives you open access to all the seats from one door, and puts the most helpful one closest to you. But she won’t actually be helpful until she is old enough to be out of the car seat so I guess that configuration doesn’t mean too much to you lol. I have ferociously read through so many threads about things that will never apply to me Lolol

@msrain50 I have toddler in middle RF, then twins on either side. We moved to the convertibles early since they were getting too heavy at 7.5m. They are both 22lbs… and there’s a set of stairs down to our car from the front door

@crownfair How do you get the toddler in the middle with the rear facing seats already in the car though? There isn’t enough room to crawl past the seats? How do you reach across to buckle them? So many questions 😂 I’m having a hard time picturing how to do this lol

@msrain50 Toddler (almost 3) is able to climb over brothers seat and into her own. My car isn’t that big, Subaru Outback, so I can lean over and get her buckled. Then brother goes in. But I’m also able to do this in my husbands f150, and I’m not that tall, only 5’4. It’s easier than you are imagining :) like most twin things you just figure it out too I guess!

@shaz7 Not that I ever figured out.

Once they got strong enough to hold their own heads, I could hold both at once. But before then, it’s pretty hard to get ahold of two at once time.

You can use things like double baby carriers but every time I tried, it took a good 15 mins to get the babies both in and they would be super upset and cry for another 10-15 mins before settling down. Then cry again when I took them out of the carrier.

Carrying one and then the other meant each baby probably cried for 5 mins……far less time than in the carrier. Plus I noticed as time went on they stopped crying bc they recognized the routine.

Back