Hi! I took my birth control 4 hours late two days ago and had sex today, should l take plan b

jessie101

So on the 31st i was supposed to take my pill (0.15mg norgestrel/0.03mg ethyl estradiol) at 10 pm like always but i was out of the house and didnt bring it. I took it around 2 am on november 1st and then at 10pm i took my last pill of the pack. Today i had sex and i thought that since i had already taken the other pill at the correct time i was safe but i want to know if im really safe or if i should take plan b

@jessie101 Your pill is a combination pill (progestin + estrogen), which has a safe window of 12 hours, meaning that you have 36 hours to remember to take a missed pill.

If you normally take it at 10 pm, you had until 10 am to remember to take the pill. You remembered before 10 am, meaning you’re still protected! Some progestin only pills have a window of 3 hours, so you can read the leaflet in your BC pack to get more information about the specific pill you are taking.

@mizmelzywi Do you think im still safe if today i start my 7 days of break before my next pack? I looked up the information from the manufacturer and they speak too generally
"If the paitient missed 1 or 2 pills they must use physical contraceptives until they have taken 14 tablets (one daily) in a consecutive manner"

@jessie101 You didn’t miss a pill, so you don’t need to follow that. Missing a pill is taking it MORE than 12 hours late - which you didn’t do. You can take your 7 day break just fine.

@jessie101 You didn’t miss a pill, since you took it within the 12 hour window. Personally i would skip the placebo week to be extra safe or use back-up protections such as condoms during the placebo week! If you are unsure it is always better to be safe than sorry

@jessie101 If you’re worried about it you can skip the placebos and or use a barrier method until you’ve taken the 8th active pill in the next pack. But 4 hours is still considered on time for combination pills.