Help please

connor1

Hi all,

My 9 month old isn't responding well to ferber. Night 5 and he is crying so hard he vomits and that's my limit before picking him up and snuggling to sleep. We have had vomiting issues with him in the past so can't go down that route (GP and health visitors advice).

We have a solid bedtime routine that he has followed happily since 3 months, but still wakes up excessively in the night (3-6 times a night) for prolonged periods a few nights a week (e.g. up for an hour at 2am).

Routine:
6pm - warm bath
6.20 - massage with his eczema cream
6.30 - bottle (doesn't fall asleep on it)
6.35ish - lays on bed next to me and pat his tummy til he falls asleep. Then transfer to his own room.

Most nights he is in bed asleep by 6.40/45.

He got into a bad habit while really little due to having an undiagnosed cows milk allergy, so didn't start sleeping for more than 90 minutes at time till he was 3.5 months. Because of this he was feeding little and often all the time (1-2oz every 60-90 mins), which we have broken him out of a bit, but he still only has 5oz bottles at most.

He has 3 meals a day plus some fruit mid morning. We have to fight to get any milk into him during the day, he has completely lost interest, until it gets to night and he can have 20 oz overnight. If we don't give a bottle through the night when he wakes he will cry till he vomits.

I just don't know where to go from here, I'm happy to get up with him a couple of times through the night, but between the million wake ups and a 5am wakeup me and my husband are going insane.

Thanks for any help x

@christineadler Two naps a day. First one 2.5-3 hours after wake up, is usually an hour. Second is 3-4 hours after wake up, usually 1.5 - 2 hours.

If he isn't awake by 3pm we wake him up so he is ready for bed time in the evening.

A typical day is:

Wake 5am

Breakfast and play

Nap 1: 8-9am

Snack (food) and play

Lunch 11.30

Nap 12.30 - 2.30

Play

Snack (bottle only)

Dinner 4pm

Play

Bed routine 6pm

@connor1 Sorry I just now got back to this. 3 hours of naps might be a bit much for this age. I would cap that second nap at 1.5 hours and I would make sure he is awake 4 hours before bed