Help me decide-pregnant & planning

theophilus2019

I’m currently expecting, 22 weeks now, and I’ve been starting to build a stash for when baby arrives. I do have some cloth experience with my older son, but we didn’t start until he was almost a year old. We (really, I) used prefolds/boosters and OS or size 2 Thirsties covers. Because he was older, we didn’t need a whole bunch, honestly, and I washed every 2-3 days without problems until potty training.

I’ve been slowly adding things, trying to avoid a big cost all at once, but I will likely wait for Black Friday sales for any additional “older baby stuff”. Now, for the breakdown! Help me be reasonable and not go too overboard here, please!

-bumgenius Littles AIO (newborn) x 22
(Only purchased because I got such a great deal like new for $75)
-coth-eez prefolds (size small) x 10
(purchased vguc, $10)
-mama koala OS pockets (microfiber/bamboo blend) x 6
(Purchased hoping dh might actually use a cloth diaper! Bought new on sale, $34)
-rumparooz one size pocket (microfiber) x 4
(Purchased guc, again for outings or dh, $40)
-rumparooz NB covers x 6
(Got an amazing deal new for $37 total)
-nickis’s cotton fitted x 4, small
(Bought new with code, $28).
I’m up to over 220 already!!!

So, here’s my dilemma! I’m really more of a cover/prefold kinda girl, but wound up with mostly aio and pockets. I’m itching to buy NB prefolds to go with the NB covers I got on sale. Is it ridiculous to consider adding to the already large NB stash of 22 aio? Theoretically, I can return or resell the rump NB covers. I just don’t know since I’ve never cloth diapered a newbie before..

I intend on buying Thirsties duos in sizes one and two, plus more small/medium prefolds and a few flats for the “infant” stage to compliment the pockets. I’ll also likely need to invest in natural inserts for the pockets, plus the only boosters I have are large sized. So, there’s still a lot to invest in moving forward!!

All things considered, what about the newborn stage??? Do I plan on relying on the aios and return the NB covers, or get the NB prefolds??? I just don’t want to end up spending a fortune!

largefamilymama​

Thanks so much for all of your feedback ❤️! So, I added a few more things, and I *think I’m done until the older babe stage (apx 15lbs).

Of course, I still need some accessories like wet bags, pail liners and wipes. Overall, though, do you think this would be sufficient? What, if anything, would you add? Does anything scream overboard or “not needed”?

Last note, plan is to buy cotton eez inserts x 2 per pocket, on top of some bamboo/hemp doublers for night time (Thirsties).

Aio NB Lil Joeys x 2
Aio NB Bumgenius littles x 22
GMD prefolds NB x 12
Thirsties duo covers size 1 x 2
NB rump covers x 4

⭐️NEWBORN-36 changes
⭐️6 covers

Mama Koala pocket x 6
Rumparooz pockets x 4
Clotheez small prefolds x 10
Nicki’s fitted small x 4
GMD fitted small x 6
SmartNappy hybrid size 2 (8-15lbs) x 2

⭐️SMALL-32 changes
⭐️6 covers (covers as above-up to 15/18 lbs)

@theophilus2019 I love Thirstie's Duo covers! I also love the GMD newborn workhorses and newborn size muslins. I only got the newborn sized muslins because we invested in secondhand GMD prefolds, and wish I we got some regular muslins too, because I loved folding them and how trimly they fit. But the newborn muslins are still used daily in my house as pee shields, baby bath towels, splatter mats for baby-led weaning, cleaning up messes...etc.

@theophilus2019 I saw in some of your responses that your newborn prefolds seem too big? What I do is fold down the part of the prefold that is close to my baby's bum, then I roll the sides to aid in preventing leaks and blow outs. The folding down in the back really helps catch urine if your baby is a girl or you can fold the front where more pee usually ends up for a boy. The folding helps the prefolds fit newborn perfectly. Might be worth a shot.

I love the thirsty duo covers. We use those and green mountain prefolds and love it. We have 32 prefolds we wash about every 2 days and then several covers, I think about 8, to rotate between.

Edit to add: covers are size 1 and prefolds are newborn size with blue stitching.

@katrina2017 Thanks so much for the tips! I have a few flat diapers on hand that I was trying different “newborn” folds on to see if I could use them right away. So, that’s what seems too big for a tiny babe. After looking, though, it seems I bought the bamboo blend that are much bigger than is cotton!! I think they’re pre wash size is like 32 x 31 🤦‍♀️. I only noticed when I clicked on the product page on Amazon, and it said “previously purchased (osocozy)! So, I do think the is should work, modified a bit, just not what I have currently.

@theophilus2019 For reference, we were going through upwards of 24 diapers per day (flats) the first six weeks or so of my baby’s life. He pooped literally every hour and they suggest changing before and after every nursing session, so it came out to a lot. I don’t think more would hurt to have more prefolds in nb sizes, especially since they make great doublers and might even work in your pockets later.

@buckeye_momof4 Thanks so much for your input! What size flats were you using? I have two on hand, and I was attempting newborn folds the other day. It didn’t seem like I could fold them nearly small enough to fit under a newborn cover. I believe they’re OS. Did you buy smaller flats in the beginning?

@theophilus2019 We folded the one size flats in airplane fold. Iirc, we used some half size flats folded in angel fold, but we got more use out of the one size in airplane and then angel. However, we were using homemade pull on covers, which likely fit differently than the covers you have.

The half sizes are great if you want to spring for some. We’re still using them as doublers now at almost nine months and I don’t see us stopping any time soon.

@theophilus2019 I have 30 AIO/2 ready for my newborn in December, and 6 covers with over 20 inserts. I’ve only done my 1 year old in CD starting a few months ago but I know a NB can use like 20 a day (I’ll have 2 in diapers for the next year, so I’m hoping to wash every other day, my older kid has about 40 pockets (our preference) and I’ll divide that stash when the little one grows into that size)

@kristine403 Thanks for this!! It makes me feel much less crazy for investing in more for the “itty bitty” stage! I also feel like I’ve already gotten so much at a discounted rate that it truly is just going to be an expensive undertaking, lol. I probably only spent $200 total for my son, and I never felt like I needed more. I think I’ll just focus on stocking on up to 6 months stuff, and revisit older baby needs after he’s here.

@theophilus2019 I just mathed out how much I spent on NB for this new kiddo and it was $270. I bought used on Mercari as much as possible. I also found out this kid is estimated to be 9 lbs when born (my first was only 6.4) soo we may not be in them long ourselves lol

@theophilus2019 My newborn went through 20 flats a day. Your mileage may vary. Black Friday was a good sales day for me buying covers last year. There's a website that has prefolds seconds that are cheaper. Maybe cottonbabies? I forget. They aren't always in stock, but it might be an option.

@buckeye_momof4 They’re actually having a sale on their prefolds right now which was the spark for this post, lol. I did end up pulling the trigger, but only for the newborn size. I know I’ll need more in small, but I’m leaning towards more flats.