Help me choose an SSC

calso

Hi! I have an 11 month old and up until now I have mostly used everything BUT an SSC (woven wraps, ring sling, onbuhimo, meh dai). But now that he’s getting bigger and reaching the “pick me up! No, put me down!” stage, the convenience of an SSC would be nice. I have a standard size kinderpack that I used with my first kid, but I’m not loving it right now.

My question is essentially “what is the best SSC for someone who generally doesn’t like SSCs that much?” I’m picky, and here are the things I am picky about:

1) Must be able to do both front and back carry (I prefer a pretty high back carry)
2) Would prefer an x-back for front carry
3) breathable for summer
4) Will fit from 12 months to at least 2 years old, preferably 3 (for my 50th percentile baby)
5) Apron-style preferred
6) Good, even weight distribution

I recently had the opportunity to try a hope + plum lark and really liked it, but I only tried a front carry so I am curious how it is for back carries and if you can get baby nice and high in it. Also it seemed like the fully-stretched out panel was nearly knee-to-knee for my 11 month old already. So I’d love to hear reviews oh the lark for back carries and for toddlers. Or if there is another carrier you think I might like please tell me about it!

@calso Have you checked out the new Toddler Lark? ETA: also I do find the OG Lark good at a back carry! Kiddo can see over my shoulder (edit typo)

@chriatopher Yeah, the kid Lark says it starts at 3T, so I would think it will be a while before that will work for us (tempted to get it for my big kid but I don’t think we wear him enough for it to be worthwhile)

@calso This is kind of a tall order, I can’t really think of a carrier that fits all of this criteria.

Your kiddo is reaching the size where they’re going to be a bit for baby carriers, but won’t fit into a toddler carrier for awhile. I really can’t think of anything that spans from 12 months to 3 years, unless you’re fine with the seat not being as wide and supportive as ideal later on. Most toddler carriers start fitting around 2 years/2T pants, so I don’t think you’ll have much luck purchasing a toddler carrier to use now.

rbecg mentioned Hope & Plum, but I’ll add Sakura Bloom’s Scout. It’s H straps, but otherwise would fit your needs. They do two sizes, baby and toddler. The toddler size does have a seat cinch, so you might be able to squeeze a smaller kiddo in, but YMMV. Oscha makes a full buckle carrier called the Nook, it looks like nice wrap material and I’m sure you can get kiddo high on your back. It also looks like it has H straps though (?).

@pitcharan I’m fine with it if the seat is a bit narrow, just trying to figure out what will fit for a decent amount of time. My older kid only really started to fit in the kinderpack standard around 1 year old, and was comfortable in there for over a year.

I’ll take a look at the SB and Oscha ones.

@calso I am not sure if they’re available in the US, but the Isara the One might fit your needs. It’s not an apron style though.

It goes up to size 104 cm so that’s quite a long time because it is very very adjustable. (That also makes it a tiny bit complicated to adjust properly when you first get it). They have versions made out of woven wrap fabric, which are pretty breathable. Straps can be crossed in the back, which was also my preference.

Back