Having a tough time

@theretrogamerny That sounds really hard. I never planned on having children, so when I got pregnant with my now 19 month old son (failed vasectomy, surprise!) I was naturally inclined to OAD. Oddly, now that he's here and I'm loving motherhood, I contemplate having another. But alas, my partner is going to be 50 this year so that just seems like a bad plan (I'm 34). So now I mourn the second baby I probably won't have, when I never planned on having any.

Life's weird, isn't it?

Hugs.

@justinfaith Hugs back to you. It is weird. And I’m in the same not not believing it’s responsible to have another when partners are getting up there, which is a direct consequence of my father’s death at 56. I really wish this were a choice I got to make for myself but it just isn’t. My biggest concern is making sure my child stays as happy and sunny when she discovers her family doesn’t look like many others.

@theretrogamerny Our families may not look like most others but older parents are becoming more common, so take comfort in that. I'm not really worried about my son feeling weird about that growing up, but maybe that's wishful thinking?

Idk, I had some friends with older parents growing up and it never occurred to me to think that was odd. It was only when I was a full fledged adult that I even thought about it, probably in terms of my own motherhood.

@theretrogamerny Once your friends' new babies arrive and they're struggling with juggling 2 kids, you're gonna fall in love with your only all over again. You'll be able to spend time with your only in ways that your friends won't. I know right now it feels like you're being 'left behind,' but it's a temporary feeling. (ETA I had a 'baby club' similar to yours and all my friends had seconds, so I can relate)