Has anyone tried a walking pad?

micah1

I used to work out a lot pre-pregnancy (orangetheory minimum 3-4x week) but am finding it really difficult to motivate myself now (am 11w+2). I try to go to the gym a couple times a week and do 30 mins on the elliptical or treadmill (walking on an incline) and some strength training but that's becoming hard and gets boring. To add to it, we are moving in a few weeks and I won't have a gym that's easily accessible anymore (I currently live in an apartment building with 2 gyms attached).

So, to try and get SOME movement in, i'm considering getting a walking pad so i can at least walk while watching TV or working. Has anyone used one? did you like it? is there a brand/type that you recommend for pregnancy? Any advice or input would be much appreciated!

@micah1 Loved using my walking pad while WFH throughout pregnancy! Sometimes it was the only movement I could manage, especially when I was too exhausted to head to the gym or even just… go outside.

@katrina2017 that's how i feel! sometimes i just want to stay in my PJs and not leave the house but feel guilty not getting any movement in. do you have a brand/type you recommend?

@micah1 I had my baby at the end of this January in Minnesota and wanted to able to walk during recovery (so obviously didn’t want to do it outside when it was freezing), slowly re-start my fitness and then figured it’d be good for working from home. I LOVE it. Kept me moving when I couldn’t get outside and I can watch TV or do laptop work while I get some extra steps. I’ll even baby wear since my little girl loves the movement.

I’m sure there are plenty of other good options, but I got this one and so far it has been ideal! walking pad

@micah1 Ehh, it's okay. Mine went to 6km/h so I was double stepping a lot (I didn't explain that right, but yeah too slow for my workout walk pace) so invested in a proper treadmill. I think it would be good to have a walking pad for working from home, but don't do that unfortunately. Husband sometimes WFH and uses it and loves it for that purpose.

I say go for it!

@micah1 Yea!! I WFH and use mine at least 30 mins daily, sometimes it’s all I can manage exercise-wise, as I’m just coming out of my first tri. I got the Redliro one off Amazon and it’s been great for a year now. Highly recommend getting one.

@micah1 Mine was instrumental for my first trimester to get all of my steps in daily! Some days I just didn’t have the motivation to go outside and the pad was so helpful

@micah1 Yep been using mine everyday throughout pregnancy. I also WFH so it’s helped so much to help me get my steps in, especially since I stopped running in second tri.

@micah1 I got mine pre-pregnancy and thought I would use it hours a day while wfh. Instead, I used it maybe 30 min during work a few days a week which is better than nothing! Since pregnancy, I’ve used it a few times while watching tv. The only thing is that if using it not under a desk, I get a little nervous that I’ll fall off since it’s narrower than a regular treadmill. I moved it to be against a wall so I have something to touch if I need to regain balance. Here’s the one I got off Amazon that is on sale now! https://a.co/d/24UkIf3

@micah1 Yes. It works really well for pregnancy and postpartum and also for when you're a working parent and don't have time to work out.

I also got a foot massager that has a remote control and put that next to my walkpad and I'd get a foot massage any time I wanted one.