Friend just named her baby my #1 name

@tigereyes12 I would never. Her friendship means a lot to me. I just plan to give her a few weeks to enjoy her little boy before I do because it’s not time sensitive on my not-pregnant part

@byanyothername You can still use the name. If she freaks out about it then she was not a great friend to begin with. I'm not sure I would talk to her about using the name though. I feel like that would just create a layer of awkwardness as if you need "her permission" to use the name. If she ever asks you about it you can just say respectfully that it is the name you and your husband have loved for years and that you both spent a lot of time on choosing a name, and it was the only name you both agreed on.

@byanyothername My friend also unknowingly used my first choice for a girl, and our first choice for what we hoped to name a future baby boy.

Her daughter’s name is Aria which has obviously exploded in popularity since I picked the name in 2014-2015ish. Her son’s name is Sebastian and she straight up gave us permission to use the name too if we really wanted to. Best friend material. ❤️

We will choose another name, but the fact she offered as soon as I said it was our top choice was a great confirmation of our friendship.

@byanyothername As someone who got upset with my cousin for knowingly taking my #1 baby name, I say yes name your baby the name you love!! After my lesson learned, there can be more than one baby with the same name in the same circle. It will be so fun for them growing up to have the same name too. It stings having someone use your name but it’ll be ok!

@byanyothername Use it anyways. Think about how many multiples of guy names are out there. Go down your friend list on FB and you’ll see 5-10 of the same guy name but only a few duplicated female names. There just aren’t as many options for guys. It’s totally okay to use the same guy name. Idk about your friend circle but we have so many Matts/Matthews that anytime a girl starts dating a new one we have to give him a nickname.

@byanyothername Use the name!! My mother had a friend use my name and middle name for her daughter born the same month as me. We grew up going by the same name and never had any issues. You can use a nickname for your daughter if you want to differentiate between the girls!

@byanyothername I would still use it! It has a lot of meaning to you and your husband!

Also maybe bring it up to her one on one now when you meet the baby. The name always is a topic of conversation!

@byanyothername My best friend of 28 years did this to me too. It pisses me off still. Her son is like 10 now and I still think about it since I've had two boys since her son was born.